Look what I found

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Casselberry
So now that we know its a gopher :( what should I do...should I buy stage 1-2or3 baby food and should I water it down..right now I soak him and he takes maybe a sip not a long drink at all then after 10min of just sitting their I put him in some baby food he sniffs it ..I haven't seen him try it he he did I couldn't see , iv been doing carrots & squash and then soak again and then I try n get him to eat. Iv put pieces of strawberry, banana , blue Berry's, rasberrys, roman lettuce, kale and mix spring mix. I make it his size tiny and no I didn't put it all in front of him at once. Before I leave for work I put a fruit and salad and when I come home at night its still their, so I repeat the process that I do in the morning the soaks then I try the food again and nothing...): idk what to do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't handle him or try to feed him. The more you mess with him the worse it is for releasing him. If the spot under the solar panels is a safe place, I'd put him right back out there and try to leave him alone.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I'd release it simplely because it is a illegal and you are messing with mother nature i know it sucks to think about something happening to that lil guy but that's the circle of life

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep yep you need to let him go . They will not eat and stress out . He is wild so he is not liking what you are doing . He will eat as soon as you put him back . He needs to grow and make more baby gophers .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I think you are doing the right thing. Best wishes to him and you!!

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
Okay. I've got to admit if it was me and with something that little, I'd keep him secluded, limit handling, and supply him with natural edibles from around the area with a fresh supply of water and daily mists. Just to make sure he's strong enough to make it on his own... You never know he could have had a close call with a predator, is totally stressed out and just needs time to feel safe again.

glaerey

5 Year Member
noticed that little nuchal scute, redfooted don't have that.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Can you help me figure out what this little guy is and what I should do with him me and my husband has decided to just go and stick sunny outside and now this little guy finds me ugh

Attachments

• 1397654351222.jpg
    1397654351222.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 1397654364143.jpg
    1397654364143.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 92

cruzanster

Can you help me figure out what this little guy is and what I should do with him me and my husband has decided to just go and stick sunny outside and now this little guy finds me ugh
Hi. If I am not mistaken, I think what you may have there is a florida box turtle. It's' adorable.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Looks like an Ornate Box turtle. Def a box turtle. They have a huge range which seems to include your yard. Best to put him right back where you found him and if you are lucky, he will become a regular visitor to your yard for years to come.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Thank you .... Yes he's big and healthy so I'm just gonna release him... He got stuck in my dog cage outside walked in one end and couldnt get out the other

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not an ornata, but a bauri, or Florida box turtle. I've been involved with turtles and tortoises for over 35 years, and I've NEVER seen a turtle or tortoise walking down the road or outside a captive situation. You are so lucky!

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Im gonna assume it was ether late at night or early in the morning must of been trying to find a warm spot cause it was in the 50's. He's so cool I like the way he can tuck his entire body in his shell and be nothing but a big ol shell I love it... >.> I should release him right Yvonne? he's cool ^.^ and I'd keep him but -.- I guess the right thing would be to let him go

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, by all means...release him. I'm pretty sure Florida has strict rules against taking in wild turtles.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is there any sign of the egg sac still on the tort? Under a solar panel? How close to the solar panel? I mean, those things put off tremendous heat (enough to smoke a bird in mid flight)....I would let this little one rest in a quiet place for a couple of weeks....I would continue to offer water soaks (not too warm but not cold) also in a quiet place....I would offer heat in the form of either a black night heat lamp or a che and not a bright light.....and I would offer the soaks for at least 30 minutes...

I would also try to offer him some wet type yummy foods to assure inside is plumped up /hydrated....like cucumber, zucchini and also some roses, hibiscus or dandelion flowers (more the flowers than the greens).....and when you do the food offering doing it within sight of the tort...from my observations, these guys vision is better than their smell....

Please please please, be certain to not cross contaminate this little one if you are going to release him....I would use nothing that any other tort in your care has ever used and I would be sure to really scrub up before and and after you handle him and any items he comes in contact with....better safe than not....

He is adorable....have you mucked about in the same area to see if there are any others?

pishpash8

Michigan
Definitely a sulcatta tortoise.

My tortoise only has one nostril... But at least he's different! ^_^