Looking for a good species of tortoise to buy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajlista

5 Year Member
I have been experienced with animals my whole life and i really really really want to buy a tortoise, i dont want to get it, and not have proper care for it, so i was hoping i could get some help here
I was wondering what the best kind of tortoise to buy is?
And maybe can help me with some information
Are there certain tortoises more active than others? Or are they active at all? If so which ones are most active?
Also, is it possible to purchase one for 80$ or under? :D
I have so many questions, so for now im gunna browse the forum a ltittle, but id greatly appreciate if you guys could answer these :D
Thanks!

Anthony

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hello and welcome..:)
$80.. well you might find a russian for close to that. They are small, personable and can be hardy. they can be hibernated in the winter or kept awake if kept warm. Im a bit curious as to why you want to find one for $80?
Is that all you can afford? The purchase price of the tort, can be the cheapest thing of owning one! There are Lights, Enclosures, ( indoor and outdoor) VET BILLS, diet, etc....

Do you have a back yard? Own or rent? Staying inone place? School? Kids?
They live a very long time. Lots of things to consider..
Also depending where you live.. hot climate, cold wet etc.. is another thing to consider before getting one. A cute sulcata hatchling is small, but if you live in an apt, it is not a very good choice. They get large, and will need an outdoor enclosure, they do not hibernate, so a place where it is cold and snowy is not a great place for them.
So give us some more info on what youa re looking for.

If you have space for a sulcata. then I would highly recommend getting one thru a rescue. There are many inneed of homes, and even if you get one that is a few years old, it will or can outlive you!
So READ, learn enjoy and ask as many qeastions as you want... its FREE!

Ajlista

5 Year Member
Laura said:
hello and welcome..:)
$80.. well you might find a russian for close to that. They are small, personable and can be hardy. they can be hibernated in the winter or kept awake if kept warm. Im a bit curious as to why you want to find one for $80?
Is that all you can afford? The purchase price of the tort, can be the cheapest thing of owning one! There are Lights, Enclosures, ( indoor and outdoor) VET BILLS, diet, etc....

Do you have a back yard? Own or rent? Staying inone place? School? Kids?
They live a very long time. Lots of things to consider..
Also depending where you live.. hot climate, cold wet etc.. is another thing to consider before getting one. A cute sulcata hatchling is small, but if you live in an apt, it is not a very good choice. They get large, and will need an outdoor enclosure, they do not hibernate, so a place where it is cold and snowy is not a great place for them.
So give us some more info on what youa re looking for.

If you have space for a sulcata. then I would highly recommend getting one thru a rescue. There are many inneed of homes, and even if you get one that is a few years old, it will or can outlive you!
So READ, learn enjoy and ask as many qeastions as you want... its FREE!
Well, im only 14, and i dont like when my parents buy me stuff.
So i wanted to buy it with my own money, and i am unemployed, so i dont have all that much money
I was looking at redfoot tortoises considering they are so CUTE!
But they are around 100-175, so i was a little hesitant
Caring for it wont be a problem, i dont see myself ever not giving it proper care
We rent our house, and soon the whole backyard will be re-done
I was wondering how big an average russian tortoise will get?
Or how big a redfoot would get?
Thanks so much!
anthony

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
male russian average 4 to 5 inches female russian average from 8 to 10 inches usually.

Ajlista

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
male russian average 4 to 5 inches female russian average from 8 to 10 inches usually.

Thanks, i think i would go with the male, i dont want something too big, 4 to 5 inches seems like a nice size :D
It says redfoots get 10-18 inches, which really, wouldnt bother me either
Are russian tortoises somewhat active and like to be out and handled a bit? And are they friendly?
Thanks again for your help :D
anthony

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
My russians (3) are very friendly and they are all wild caught. Tortoises as a rule don't like to be handled a lot but they can be acclimated to being handled if that is your thing, but again I personally don't think they like it. If your russian (if you decide to buy one) is a wild caught pet store one, expect to take it to the vet for parasites and treatment, if you buy a captive born one no treatment should be needed but a vet visit is always recommended. but they are usually more expensive ( captive born)
Russian are usually easily attainable in the US if that is where you reside.

Ajlista

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
My russians (3) are very friendly and they are all wild caught. Tortoises as a rule don't like to be handled a lot but they can be acclimated to being handled if that is your thing, but again I personally don't think they like it. If your russian (if you decide to buy one) is a wild caught pet store one, expect to take it to the vet for parasites and treatment, if you buy a captive born one no treatment should be needed but a vet visit is always recommended. but they are usually more expensive ( captive born)
Russian are usually easily attainable in the US if that is where you reside.

Yeah i live in u.s
If they dont like to be handled, by all means i dont wanna stress the little guy out
Also, how do they did in glass vivariums? if the tanks is big enough to suit them, is it okay to not just have them in a bin?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anthony, I understand where you are coming from, but somebody has to be able to be financially responsible for that living animal BEFORE you bring it home. I had pets when I was younger than you, but my parents had agreed ahead of time to be responsible for them in every way in the event that I couldn't or wouldn't be. I didn't start collecting my own stuff until I had a job and could really take care of business myself. I totally get your need to be self-sufficient and independent, but for the time being, you will still need their help financially if you want a tortoise.

Now then. Where do you live? This should have at least something to do with the species you choose. It is physically possible to maintain any species any where on earth, but it would not be easy to maintain redfoot in Alaska, for example. Russians are great first tortoise for many people. They are generally hardy, outgoing and active, but most of them are wild caught imports. These are initially cheaper, but come with a hidden price tag in the form of vet bills to purge them of their wild parasites. You'll do much better with a captive bred yearling russian, but this will cost more up front.

Redfoots are a great species, IF you set them up right. I have trouble here in Southern CA because it is very dry where I live and they need humidity. I choose to work with more "desert" type species.

All tortoises have good and bad points. Good luck choosing after you have learned about them.

Welcome to our forum.

Ajlista

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Anthony, I understand where you are coming from, but somebody has to be able to be financially responsible for that living animal BEFORE you bring it home. I had pets when I was younger than you, but my parents had agreed ahead of time to be responsible for them in every way in the event that I couldn't or wouldn't be. I didn't start collecting my own stuff until I had a job and could really take care of business myself. I totally get your need to be self-sufficient and independent, but for the time being, you will still need their help financially if you want a tortoise.

Now then. Where do you live? This should have at least something to do with the species you choose. It is physically possible to maintain any species any where on earth, but it would not be easy to maintain redfoot in Alaska, for example. Russians are great first tortoise for many people. They are generally hardy, outgoing and active, but most of them are wild caught imports. These are initially cheaper, but come with a hidden price tag in the form of vet bills to purge them of their wild parasites. You'll do much better with a captive bred yearling russian, but this will cost more up front.

Redfoots are a great species, IF you set them up right. I have trouble here in Southern CA because it is very dry where I live and they need humidity. I choose to work with more "desert" type species.

All tortoises have good and bad points. Good luck choosing after you have learned about them.

Welcome to our forum.
Yeah, i suppose i would need some help buying extra stuff
I live in Staten Island Newyork at the time being
I have alot of things that might already be suitable
Such as big waterdishes, large log hides, lamps, thermometers
I just need to figure out correct substrate, food, and ill get some extra stuff
Thaanks for your info! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anthony:

I'd like to suggest that you start buying all the equipment you're going to need while you do your research into what kind of tortoise you want. A very large plastic bin would be a lot cheaper than an aquarium, but if you already have an aquarium, then that would be ok. But for a full grown Russian tortoise, you'd need a pretty large aquarium. I doubt even a 50 gallon would be big enough. You're going to need a UVB light and the Mercury Vapor Bulbs are the best and most expensive. You'll need substrate, maybe a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), a waterer and a food slate or tile, a couple hiding places. But be sure to ask your folks if they're willing to help you if the tortoise needs to go to the vet.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
The potential vet bills would be my biggest concern. Be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars should your tortoise get sick, just like a dog or cat. It happens far too often that we read about someone with a sick tort that can't afford to take them to the vet when needed. There are still aspects of tortoise care that are still poorly understood and debated, so sick torts are all too common.

A russian as previously suggested, or hermann's or greek would all be good fits from what you stated, and I suggest these over redfoots every time (just for "ease" of care and size).

Try to look to rescuing or craigslist as opposed to the pet store. The downside is there is a good chance a craigslist tort will be already sick, the plus side is they may be cheaper, and you're not directly feeding the import of wild caughts.

just my 1/2 cent.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Might look on Craigslist...sometimes you can find pretty good bargains on "second hand" tortoises, but if you know someone who can look at it and see if it's generally healthy, that'd be best. Or watch the classifieds here. Several folks breed torts and there might be a bargain to be had...worth looking!

Now, consider this: a tortoise does best kept outside, so that should be a consideration as to what sort of tortoise to get, even if it can only live outside during the summer...so, where do you live?

Warm and Rainy/humid? A redfoot or a hinge-back can be a good choice. Or even a box turtle (which is technically not a tortoise, but very similar in many ways...plus one is right in your price range, as can be a hinge-back at a reptile show!)

Hot/dry? A European (Hermann's, Greek, Russian or Marginated, in that order of desirability) or American desert tortoise is a good choice. Again, some species of box turtles can be a great choice, but you'll have to make a few alterations to it's outdoor home.

Lopts of things to think about before buying, but you have an excellent "brain trust" for getting into tortoise keeping the RIGHT way, so ask any questions 1st!

And, welcome to what we call Reality! :tort: :cool: :tort:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
consider also where you will be in 5 or 10 years. when you go away to college will your family care for it? take it with you? or re home it?
just something else to consider when getting any pet.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Well done you!
I take my hat off to you for wanting to buy it yourself, I admire that! ;)

As most folks said Russians are easy enough to look after and so are the mediterranean Greeks.

Hers food for thought as my old nan use to say,:p
Why dont you try and adopt one, I know Yvonne sometimes has adoptions, depending on where you are.

Obviously the owners of the torts would like to vet the enclosure and to see if you know waht you are doing. Its not a case of getting a tort and sticking it in a garden.

I have gave some torts out to adoption and i have asked personal questions like their home, animals they have, children,
Garden or patio.
If i dont find them or the torts home satisfactory then no tort.
I still visit the homes of the torts that have gone out for adoption to weigh and measure them, And also i ask them that if ever they wanted to get rid of the tort, it comes back to me.

If you have an animal santuary close by check them out and see if they have any, Never know you might strike it lucky.
Good luck :)

Radiated Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hey Anthony, im 14 aswell, i have two radiated tortoises. One high yellow radiated and one regular. If you like active animals they are great, and they look amazing aswell. but im not sure how much they cost in the US, i live in China.

Ajlista

5 Year Member
As for vet bills go, i would be able to suck up pride and get some help with that
As for the outside part, i would be able to let him roam outside (Monitored of course) Daily in the summer
In 5 -10 years i dont plan on going away to college
But my dad whos owned two pet stores loves to take caare of animals, so if worst came to worst my dad would be there to take my place until i could be fit to care for it again.
I was thinking of making going to a reptile expo out in long island may 27th and maybe just to look there?
Do you think its a good idea to look at a reptile expo ?
I dont want to do any buying of a tortoise till i know exactly what needs to be done
And, i think im pretty much set on russian tortoises, ive been researching and they seem like great pets
Thanks!
Anthony

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
expos are a good place to look and get an idea on prices, plus you can sometimes make a deal there.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If you go to the expo.. be sure you have stuff ready at home Just IN Case you find a great deal and make an Impulse buy!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Anthony, at the reptile shows I've attended, a Russian tortoise goes for $40-50, about 1/2 of what many pet stores charge for them...food for thought! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.