Looking for a medium- larger tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimek

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm looking for a tortoise that is medium to a larger size. A sulcata is fine but anything a little smaller would be good. I live in the chicago land area.
Thanks
-Patrick

Akronic

5 Year Member
You might want to look into Redfoots they get bigger than the Testudo family and are smaller than the Sulcata

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
how large is large... I love sulcatas and they are wonderfull pets if you can set them up right... I would say a Leopard because they stay a little smaller and they are very cool.. nice torts... but I just think you should maybe go smaller than that... Unless you have a large basement that you coulds set up like a tort house... grass, grow lights, heating, substrate, mvb... it's fine when they are teeny tiny hatchlings but what about when they are big and messy... Small torts can be really cool... sweet and have alot of personality.. Just my two cents.. and really good luck and WELCOME

Klimek

5 Year Member
Yea I would prefer a leopard but they are really hard to find in il. If i set up a pen in my basement it would probably be 8x10 which is a little small for a sulcata but perfect for a leopard.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
basements are not ideal.. my opinion... just hate seeing that.. an animal that thrives on being outdoors and NEEDs the sun... being cooped up in cold basement for months, is just not fair..
it can be done.. but I just dont think it ideal..

Klimek

5 Year Member
Laura said:
basements are not ideal.. my opinion... just hate seeing that.. an animal that thrives on being outdoors and NEEDs the sun... being cooped up in cold basement for months, is just not fair..

Would you consider this for all types of tortoises or just the bigger ones?

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Klimek said:
Would you consider this for all types of tortoises or just the bigger ones?

I'm not Laura, but I have to say all tortoise need the light of day. Real light, no bulb is ever as good as the sun. Walter is the other side of the scale of tortoises, he's just about 4 inches long (if he stretches) and his favorite thing is sitting in the sun.

drthyclcv

5 Year Member
Klimek said:
Hi, I'm looking for a tortoise that is medium to a larger size. A sulcata is fine but anything a little smaller would be good. I live in the chicago land area.
Thanks
-Patrick
Hi, my name is Dorothy and I have 2 Ornate box turtles for adoption, they are 4" in size and will grow up to 6" as adults. I lost my house and moved to one bedroom apartment so I can't keep those guys. there is no addoption fee, but shipping fee.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a lot of us living in the colder northern states that have leopards and Sulcata's, maybe not ideal, but can be done fairly easy and with happy torts. Looking at the big picture, most tortoises are not in the ideal place. The biggest concern is if you can afford to house properly in the winter months and if you have an area or means to heat a large outdoor tort. house. It cost a little more then the warmer states.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It seem that Laura is saying that we shouldn't even have tortoises. I guess we're just bad keepers (in her opinion)
wellington said:
There are a lot of us living in the colder northern states that have leopards and Sulcata's, maybe not ideal, but can be done fairly easy and with happy torts. Looking at the big picture, most tortoises are not in the ideal place. The biggest concern is if you can afford to house properly in the winter months and if you have an area or means to heat a large outdoor tort. house. It cost a little more then the warmer states.

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
yagyujubei said:
It seem that Laura is saying that we shouldn't even have tortoises. I guess we're just bad keepers (in her opinion)
wellington said:

Hi there,

firstly you have commented on Laura's statement but posted wellingtons in your thread. secondly the forum is a place that people come to for advice, OPINIONS are given and its upto the individual how we chose to take that advice.

I live in BC, it can get as cold at -15 in my garage in the winter months but they are hibernating then and no i dont leave them in there to hibernate-it can get very hot in the summer months, i own hermanns, they have an indoor house in the garage, which is equipped with the necessary stuff for them to be housed correctly, they also have an outdoor area, both they seem to like, unless its raining heavily my torts spend at least 3hrs per day outside, they have a good growth rate etc.

there are much worse scenarios than raising torts in a basement, and im sure laura didnt mean to offend anyone, she's merely giving her opinion.

kae

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Laura said:

Mine are in my basement and they are just fine .If you take the time to set them up right you will be all set so are you saying everyone in the east coast should not be keeper ? I have seen a lot of west coast torts that are not taken care of its not where you live it's how you care of them that matters

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Not sure I see your point. Are you saying that Laura has a right to her opinion, but I don't? My opinion is that you should mind your own business.
Englishrose said:
yagyujubei said:
wellington said:

Hi there,

firstly you have commented on Laura's statement but posted wellingtons in your thread. secondly the forum is a place that people come to for advice, OPINIONS are given and its upto the individual how we chose to take that advice.

I live in BC, it can get as cold at -15 in my garage in the winter months but they are hibernating then and no i dont leave them in there to hibernate-it can get very hot in the summer months, i own hermanns, they have an indoor house in the garage, which is equipped with the necessary stuff for them to be housed correctly, they also have an outdoor area, both they seem to like, unless its raining heavily my torts spend at least 3hrs per day outside, they have a good growth rate etc.

there are much worse scenarios than raising torts in a basement, and im sure laura didnt mean to offend anyone, she's merely giving her opinion.

kae

SulcataJoe

5 Year Member
Florida
I love Siberian Husky's. But I live in S. Florida. This type of dog does not do well in the heat. And it would be inhumane to keep such a spirited dog inside most of the year, even though I have a very big house. So, I have a dog as a pet that can handle the weather.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Just saying...
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.