Looking for a Russian to love :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenwlsn

5 Year Member
I am looking for a Russian tortoise to adopt at a reasonable price. I have a large aquarium all set up, just waiting on the right little one to put in it! They would get plenty of outside time and lots of attention. I am located in Texas and can pay for shipping. Any help is appreciated :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lauren:

Have you done any research on keeping a Russian tortoise? A baby will be able to live in an aquarium for a short while, but when he grows, an adult Russian really needs to be kept outside. They need quite a bit of space to roam, as they are hard-wired to wander over great distances.

Take a look through our breeder section and see if there are any members who sell Russian tortoises, then contact them through a PM or email to see if they have any for sale at the moment.

laurenwlsn

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Lauren:

Have you done any research on keeping a Russian tortoise? A baby will be able to live in an aquarium for a short while, but when he grows, an adult Russian really needs to be kept outside. They need quite a bit of space to roam, as they are hard-wired to wander over great distances.

Take a look through our breeder section and see if there are any members who sell Russian tortoises, then contact them through a PM or email to see if they have any for sale at the moment.

I have reasearched them for several months now :) I live in Texas and they would have plenty of sunshine to enjoy almost year round! (Supervised of course). I have a 40 gallon tank now so it will have plenty of room while indoors. I currently work at a wildlife center with both sulcata and texas tortoises, I fell in love with them and can not wait to have a little one of my own. Thank you for the suggestions!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Hi Laurenwlsn,
Have you looked on Craigslist? I live in Houston and there have been several Russians listed over the last couple months that were either free or very little and ranged in age from a few months to adult. The listings have spanned the entire state.. And keep in mind emysemys suggestions and info. She has been raising Torts longer than some of us have been alive. 😉 Happy Tort hunting.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Hi Lauren! Welcome to TFO! Just so you know a 40 gallon aquarium might be okay for a hatchling, but it will quickly out grow it. You will need something bigger soon.

laurenwlsn

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
Hi Lauren! Welcome to TFO! Just so you know a 40 gallon aquarium might be okay for a hatchling, but it will quickly out grow it. You will need something bigger soon.

Thanks for the advice! I am starting to collect the materials for a tortoise table now and have a fenced in area in my back yard for them to explore as well. Any suggestions on what to include?

Status
Not open for further replies.