Looking for Feedback on Commerically Built uPVC Tortoise Table

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Found this website (search Tortoise Hotel) when I was trying to look for ideas on building a more portable tortoise table to replace the one I previously built out of balsa wood.

I haven't been able to find any information about this product on tortoise forum. It seems well made; in sizes larger than any commercially available tortoise tables I have ever come across.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
http://www.tortoisehotel.com/

It looks like a pretty nice product. I'm not conversant in centimeters, so can't tell how big it is, but most manufactured tortoise tables aren't big enough. Also, the sides look a little short. Once you add 4 or 5 inches of substrate the tortoise MIGHT be able to reach the top of the wall and climb out.

This is the first I've seen this product. I got the impression they're in the UK? Shipping?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
http://www.tortoisehotel.com/

It looks like a pretty nice product. I'm not conversant in centimeters, so can't tell how big it is, but most manufactured tortoise tables aren't big enough. Also, the sides look a little short. Once you add 4 or 5 inches of substrate the tortoise MIGHT be able to reach the top of the wall and climb out.

This is the first I've seen this product. I got the impression they're in the UK? Shipping?

Website says "free delivery". http://www.hardshellhotel.com/

Their sales website currently shows 3 sizes:
4.2' L x 2.9' W x 1.2' H (2.2' H with legs)
5.2' L x 2.9' W x 1.2' H (2.2' H with legs)
6.2' L x 2.9' W x 1.2' H (2.2' H with legs)

14.5 inch height is pretty good for small tortoise species. Which is what I intend to use it for if I am to purchase one.

Sizes are indeed not large enough to satisfy the minimum standards of 8' x 4' proponents. This would be an adequate option for small apartment owners and those of us with multiple indoor/outdoor enclosures looking for an extra table for temporary housing.

I wonder what the cost would be to build a similarly modular and portable setup with PVC and or uPVC.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea it's plastic - no need for a liner. But some plastics put off fumes. Let's see if @Markw84 has any ideas on this product.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I’m impressed by the companies desire to educate tortoise owners and help them give a tortoise a habitat to thrive in. It appears like you can combine two of them to make it extra long. They even mention how to add a wire mesh top to protect against predators. I agree that having one more panel to make it taller would be better so a thick layer of substrate could be used, but over all, it sounds like a company that is trying to solve many problems commercially bought tortoise enclosures have. I like it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You made a tortoise table out of balsa wood? How well did that hold up? Must have cost a fortune…

If they are in the UK, there is no possible way that could ship it to the US for free. The shipping would cost more than the product by a factor of 3 or more.

What species and size tortoise is this for?

daniellenc

Maryland
It seems you can have them custom made as well so adding more height may be an option and they have mesh tops for those with older torts not needing a closed table, or for outdoor use. I like them and am sad this is in the UK. Shipping to the US would be astronomical as Tom pointed out but for UK members a great recommendation except their no return policy........makes me leery if you're dissatisfied with the quality of the product. Another bonus is they're expandable meaning you can make it as big as you like!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You made a tortoise table out of balsa wood? How well did that hold up? Must have cost a fortune…

If they are in the UK, there is no possible way that could ship it to the US for free. The shipping would cost more than the product by a factor of 3 or more.

What species and size tortoise is this for?

My Uncle did most of the work. He's the carpenter/woodworker. It was a couple years ago and my Uncle just used whatever he had extra lying around at that time. It's funny you mentioned the cost. I remember talking him out of using rosewood, a more vibrant and show piece quality wood because I didn't want him to go overboard.

The table has held up nicely. Some small dents and scratches here and there. It's well loved.

If prices were within the realm of reasonable, I plan to swap my indoor enclosure to the 6' x 3' uPVC model and use my current indoor enclosure as a plantar box to house more succulent plants I have from my garden. I have an adult Russian that shares his time in both an indoor and an outdoor enclosure.

It seems you can have them custom made as well so adding more height may be an option and they have mesh tops for those with older torts not needing a closed table, or for outdoor use. I like them and am sad this is in the UK. Shipping to the US would be astronomical as Tom pointed out but for UK members a great recommendation except their no return policy........makes me leery if you're dissatisfied with the quality of the product. Another bonus is they're expandable meaning you can make it as big as you like!

The product is fairly new so I can't blame them for wanting to minimize their risks in not offering a return policy. Though I do share your concerns. How is the uPVC material going to hold up through shipping? How durable or flimsy will it be?

Hopefully a member of tortoise forum from UK may buy it and report back on their findings.

daniellenc

Maryland
My Uncle did most of the work. He's the carpenter/woodworker. It was a couple years ago and my Uncle just used whatever he had extra lying around at that time. It's funny you mentioned the cost. I remember talking him out of using rosewood, a more vibrant and show piece quality wood because I didn't want him to go overboard.

The table has held up nicely. Some small dents and scratches here and there. It's well loved.

If prices were within the realm of reasonable, I plan to swap my indoor enclosure to the 6' x 3' uPVC model and use my current indoor enclosure as a plantar box to house more succulent plants I have from my garden. I have an adult Russian that shares his time in both an indoor and an outdoor enclosure.

The product is fairly new so I can't blame them for wanting to minimize their risks in not offering a return policy. Though I do share your concerns. How is the uPVC material going to hold up through shipping? How durable or flimsy will it be?

Hopefully a member of tortoise forum from UK may buy it and report back on their findings.
Have you looked into Animal Plastics? Shipping takes months because they're custom, but they're sturdy cages that will last a lifetime. Largest is an 8x3 but they're stackable meaning you can add levels and even extend them lengthwise with supports. They have a satisfaction guarantee and stellar reviews!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Have you looked into Animal Plastics? Shipping takes months because they're custom, but they're sturdy cages that will last a lifetime. Largest is an 8x3 but they're stackable meaning you can add levels and even extend them lengthwise with supports. They have a satisfaction guarantee and stellar reviews!!

Animal Plastics are sturdy indeed. However, I have always been a fan of overhead access in closed chambers rather than on the sides. These cages would be great for breeders, rescuers, big volume collectors, and for general space saving purposes.

My concern with this product would be the depth level near the sliding/swinging glass/acrylic door. 8-10' of substrate is most likely going to create some spillage whenever anything needs to be done.

daniellenc

Maryland
Animal Plastics are sturdy indeed. However, I have always been a fan of overhead access in closed chambers rather than on the sides. These cages would be great for breeders, rescuers, big volume collectors, and for general space saving purposes.

My concern with this product would be the depth level near the sliding/swinging glass/acrylic door. 8-10' of substrate is most likely going to create some spillage whenever anything needs to be done.
AP is stackable where top access is not so for space and easy access without lifting cages I think AP wins on space saving. AP can also make your substrate dam as deep as you want by why 8-10 inches? I went with 6 myself but don't have a burrowing species.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like the idea it's plastic - no need for a liner. But some plastics put off fumes. Let's see if @Markw84 has any ideas on this product.
uPVC should be perfectly safe for a tortoise enclosure and unaffected by water.

It is the same base product as what we use for plumbing with PVC pipes and with the Animal Plastic cages -
PVC used for plumbing for example is "plasticized" giving in a more soft and flexible characteristic. This is done by adding plasticizers to the PVC.
uPVC is PVC without the plasticizers added - so a bit more rigid. The 'u' stands for unplasticized.
The PVC in the Animal Plastics enclosures is "Expanded PVC". THis is simply PVC that has polyurea added to the PVC and during manufacturing processes this creates (with heat) cells within the PVC making it more foam like. This creates a lighter and more insulative material than straight PVC.

The uPVC would be denser and heavier than the expanded PVC, but certainly durable and waterproof.