Looking for opinions/ideas on a humidifier and heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I have an 8 foot by 3 foot by 18" high enclosure thats lined with corrigated plastic and siliconed Plus I made a lid with the same material to try and keep the humidiy and heat up.
The room that its in is 55% humidity and 72-76 degrees constant with my aquariums running.
I have a large water pan, and my cypress much gets sprayed ever other day that keeps it up to 80% but I notice its really wet on the bottom layer and I dont want it like a swamp or they will get shell rot so Im thinking of a humidifier.
I would like to run it ontop or beside the tank with a PVC pipe like a spray bar running the lenght of the tank with holes....
What kind and size of humidifier would I be looking for to do this?
Also the heat in there is 74 on the cold side and 95 under the lams so I was thinking to used a ceramic heater in the middle and get the constant temp up to 82 with a dimmer switch? Is that how you guys do it?
Also I have holes cut in the lid around all the light fixtures plus 2 12" by 12" vents on the lid.... Is that enough air flow or should I install a small fan on a timer as well?
Thanks for all your help and patience :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I pour water over the top of my cypress mulch then I stir it up with my hand and that prevents it from puddling at the bottom...

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
see Ive been using the PYTHON that you use for aquarium water changes but i turn the valve to spray..... Give it a good soaking every other day.... It dosent puddle much at all... but the next day I can dig up the cypress and there is water along the whole bottom of the substrate And thats what they sit in in thier hides.... and the humidity is still low like 50-60%..... So Im thinking i should try and make the air wet not just the substrate.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you want a quick, simple, and fairly cheap solution- get some heating rope (like that from Big Apple Herp- sorry, I cannot link on this computer right now) and put it in the bottom of the habitat.

It will heat the water and cause it to rise up as humidity, AND offer extra gentle heat as well- depending on how closely you space the ropes. I've been using this since August and have had great success with it.

I strongly recommend a thermostatic controller, though, if you go this route. The Big Apple rope does not get 'hot', even when overlapped, and is waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.