Looking for our first tortoise.

Srb2022

Location (City and/or State)
Bend
We are looking to adopt our first tortoise. Are there any breeders in Oregon who have a young but well adjusted tortoise available for adoption? We are hoping for a Russian, red foot, or greek. We are open to the type but would like one that will stay a small/ medium size. We have the enclosure ready and are looking for the perfect addition to our family. Thank you.
Sara

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are looking to adopt our first tortoise. Are there any breeders in Oregon who have a young but well adjusted tortoise available for adoption? We are hoping for a Russian, red foot, or greek. We are open to the type but would like one that will stay a small/ medium size. We have the enclosure ready and are looking for the perfect addition to our family. Thank you.
Sara
Hi Sara. What sort of an enclosure do you have ready and what size? A red foot would need quit e different set up than either a Russian or greek.

Srb2022

Bend
Hi Sara. What sort of an enclosure do you have ready and what size? A red foot would need quit e different set up than either a Russian or greek.
Hi! Thank you for your response. We have an indoor enclosure that measures 4ft by 6ft for when it is smaller, as well as an outdoor enclosure area for use in the summer months that is 10ft by 12ft. I believe we ruled out the red foot because they get a little larger than we'd like but I included it above because we were originally considering one. Our preference would be one of the smaller tortoises that stays 10inches or less if possible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know of anyone in OR breeding them right now, but @biochemnerd808 is producing quite a few baby Russians annually and she starts them exceptionally well and doesn't sell until they put on some size and demonstrate perfect health.

Srb2022

Bend
I don't know of anyone in OR breeding them right now, but @biochemnerd808 is producing quite a few baby Russians annually and she starts them exceptionally well and doesn't sell until they put on some size and demonstrate perfect health.
What are your thoughts on the Egyptian tortoise? It doesn't seem to be as common as a pet but it's a great small size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your thoughts on the Egyptian tortoise? It doesn't seem to be as common as a pet but it's a great small size.
I don't have much first hand experience with Egyptians, but they seem great to me. I hope to work with them soon. I know of three people breeding them if they become a serious contender for you. The care info for them is evolving rapidly right now, so take what you read with a grain of salt.

Srb2022

Bend
I don't have much first hand experience with Egyptians, but they seem great to me. I hope to work with them soon. I know of three people breeding them if they become a serious contender for you. The care info for them is evolving rapidly right now, so take what you read with a grain of salt.
I would love to get their contact info, or you could pass along mine. I've spent most of my day distracted and researching different tortoises. I understand why my son loves the Egyptians. I think they may be our match.