Looking for some expertise.

Crosis

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum, and have a couple questions I'm hoping to get some help with.

I did some quick searching and may have found my answers but I'd like to verify before I take them as gospel.

(Background Story)
I have a Sulcata that was kinda dumped on me a few years ago. I have experience with a pretty large array with animals, did some research on diet, habitat, etc and have been going with it.

When I got him he was about the size of a softball, now he is about the length of a tissue box and decently rounded. He has pyramid (He had it before I got him). I've tried to keep his diet to a free feed of grasses (Timothy hay, alfalfa, and wild grasses) 1-2 times a week I give him spring mix lettuce. On occasion (like once every 3 months) I give him a couple berries (strawberry or raspberry), I also throw in some broccoli as a treat.

During the summer I let him roam around the yard / grass for a few hours every couple days. In the winter I tend to keep him in doors (Northern California currently, moving to the desert soon).

He crawls all over his tank and is about to be upgraded from an 18" wide 60" long to. 72" long 36" wide tank in 2 days (moving). He has multiple day/night bulbs and ceramic heat lamps.

He loves to move around and make caves in his grass piles and sleeps under them.

(Concerned part)
So here is where I am concerned. I noticed today that the shell on his back toward his rearend was no longer rounded out and seemed to be sinking inward/flattening a little and the top shell seemed softer than it should be.

It doesn't feel leathery, and it's not soft but it has some give along the joints of the scales like if you touch it, it pushes in and springs right back.

He is not lethargic (very spunky tortoise) and I do not see any deformities on legs or head/neck.

(Actual Questions)
It would seem based on my reading that I need to increase his calcium intake and he needs to get out into the sun more for Vitamin D.

Is that the correct prognosis?

Whatelse can I do for him?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Photos will help. What kind of lighting do you use when he is indoors? Any calcium or other supplements currently being used?

Calcium and sunlight or a good UVB bulb are essential.

Crosis

I have not used a calcium supplement before (in my initial reading a couple years ago nothing was mentioned about calcium supplements) so that will be something I start ASAP.

I will try to get you pictures today, I'm in the process of moving so everything is in turmoil at the house.

I have 2 day lamps (UVA run 12/7), 2 ceramic heaters (run 24/7), 2 Infared Lamps (run 24/7)

My UVB has always come from letting the tortoise outside and having his tank in direct light from a window. It's been cloudy/raining for a couple weeks, so his direct exposure to daylight hasn't been as much as normal.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If glass (of the window or tank) is between your tortoise and the light, he is getting no UVB. UVB is readily filtered by glass. If he got outside for a few hours at midday all year, it would be fine, but if you go months in the winter without outdoor time, you need a good indoor bulb. T5 10.0 fluorescent UVB bulbs have the highest UVB output from what I've seen.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
From your description of the scutes pushing in at touch, and the lack of calcium supplements/direct, unfiltered sunlight, your sulcata may be experiencing metabolic bone disease (MBD). This is a serious condition that requires immediate attention. Looking at a photo isn't gonna tell me, or a vet for that matter, whether or not he's experiencing this disease. Look online for signs of MBD in tortoises. And, it may even be wise to take him to a Vet with experience in treating tortoises. X rays will give the vet confirmation of the disease along with other symptoms.

But for now, you need to start a regiment of calcium supplement and direct sunlight. Don't force the tort to stay in the sun. They usually know when to get in and out of direct sunlight. Also, the word "desert ' worries me a bit. I hope you know that while these tortoises are native to desert-like environments, it doesn't mean they can be w/o water or live in dry environments. All living, breathing animals need water and to be hydrated. Sulcatas are actually born in the rainy season in the wild of their natural habitat. Since these creatures have been taken from their natural environment and exported here, the thought that these animals are desert torts, and as such, don't need as much water as other animals is totally incorrect! Your tort should have access to clean water daily. He's small enough to give him soaks every other day or, at the very least, twice weekly. Please give some feedback as soon as you can.

Crosis

I'm new here, so I'll choose to read your post not as condescending, but as trying to be helpful.

He has access to clean water from a very large watering area that he likes to go and soak (and crap) in daily. It's cleaned out once to twice a day (depending on how often he does a bowel movement in the water).

I've never forced him to stay in the sun.

I should have been more clear, the desert indicator was just to say he would get more time outside than he does now, as the climate tends to be warmer more often than where I currently live.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You're kind to consider my suggestions as helpful because that's exactly what it was. I would never intentionally be condescending. As a new member. I have no idea how much or how little your knowledge of raising Sulcatas are. I have 4 of them: 2 are siblings that are 4 years old, one is a rescue that had MBD and is 5,1/2 years old, and the latest one I caring for for a friend since she and her husband are overseas for 4 years, and couldn't take their tort with them. He too has a mild case of MBD, but is doing beautifully.
So, I mention things just in case you didn't know because you'd be surprise how many people are clueless to the care of these animals. In fact, I had to learn much of what I know the hard way. All I, and others here on the forum, try to do is help others learn from our mistakes so that they don't have to learn the hard way. Having said that, I apologize if common sense things like clean water seemed condescending. You"d be surprised how many people don't know to provide clean water daily.

Have you found anything about MBD online?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like MBD to me as well. Calcium and UVB should get him right again. Natural UVB is best, but I would get a good light for inside as well.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome , good luck with your move . I am sure you will make the needed changes as soon as you get squared away ! ;)