Looking for Sulcata Tortoise

Bre Chiasson

Hi, I'm looking to adopt or rescue a Sulcata Tortoise. It doesn't matter the sex or the size. We have a huge yard and 1 other young sulcata at home and we are looking to give him/her a friend. We are located in New Orleans, it very very rarely gets cold here. Also, I will pay to ship it that is an option. Thanks!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Hi, I'm looking to adopt or rescue a Sulcata Tortoise. 1 other young sulcata at home and we are looking to give him/her a friend.
Greetings Bre(?),
I have read in a prior post of yours that with your family, you have plenty of good knowledge on the care of sulcata tortoises. That being the case, surely you know in advance that a tortoise doesn't want a "friend" and that your current tortoise will see any new tortoise as a threat to their territory and food and will spend more time trying to get it to "move on down the road". Pairs very rarely "like" having "friends" unless it's breeding season and then the lone male will pester the lone female with constant breeding attempts. 2 males and often two females will most often spend time with bullying. This may not be visible but one will get the best food and best sleeping spot and all of the best everything, leaving an owner wondering why they have one doing great and one fading.
Are you aware of these things? If so, what measures are you prepared to take for the benefit of both tortoises? Please follow up on this. Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm looking to adopt or rescue a Sulcata Tortoise. It doesn't matter the sex or the size. We have a huge yard and 1 other young sulcata at home and we are looking to give him/her a friend. We are located in New Orleans, it very very rarely gets cold here. Also, I will pay to ship it that is an option. Thanks!

I've got babies for sale if you'd like some. Well started and super healthy...

Bre Chiasson

Greetings Bre(?),
I have read in a prior post of yours that with your family, you have plenty of good knowledge on the care of sulcata tortoises. That being the case, surely you know in advance that a tortoise doesn't want a "friend" and that your current tortoise will see any new tortoise as a threat to their territory and food and will spend more time trying to get it to "move on down the road". Pairs very rarely "like" having "friends" unless it's breeding season and then the lone male will pester the lone female with constant breeding attempts. 2 males and often two females will most often spend time with bullying. This may not be visible but one will get the best food and best sleeping spot and all of the best everything, leaving an owner wondering why they have one doing great and one fading.
Are you aware of these things? If so, what measures are you prepared to take for the benefit of both tortoises? Please follow up on this. Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

Yes I am aware of these things and I do know that typically Sulcata's don't like "friends". My Sulcata had a "friend" that we had when we got her/him and they never left each others' sides. But tragically, that one suddenly passed away a few weeks ago and I've been trying to find her/him a new one to not feel so lonely. We have a huge yard and my aunts and uncles live in close proximity to me, so in the case that they don't like each other we will accomadate and will make arrangements at one of my family members' houses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I am aware of these things and I do know that typically Sulcata's don't like "friends". My Sulcata had a "friend" that we had when we got her/him and they never left each others' sides. But tragically, that one suddenly passed away a few weeks ago and I've been trying to find her/him a new one to not feel so lonely. We have a huge yard and my aunts and uncles live in close proximity to me, so in the case that they don't like each other we will accomadate and will make arrangements at one of my family members' houses.

I'm hoping we can get you to understand without upsetting you and making you leave, but those tortoises were not friends and the one probably died from complications caused by chronic stress. Without even knowing the COD in this case, I can make an educated guess about it. I see it all the time. A pair of tortoises that are side-by-side, or face-to-face, or following each other around, or sleeping together are not friends. One or both are telling the other to "GET OUT!!!" of my territory. The submissive can't leave, and the dominant can't understand why the other one won't leave the territory and it stresses both of them out. The aren't pal-ing around. That is crowding and its classic tortoise aggression.

They should not be kept in pairs. It goes against their solitary nature and its bad for them.

In other news:
My babies are about 3 weeks old now. Ready to go in a few more days. All are eating well, super hydrated, and getting an hour of sunshine several times a week.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Yes I am aware of these things and I do know that typically Sulcata's don't like "friends". My Sulcata had a "friend" and they never left each others' sides.
Here are a pair I rescued a couple years back. Same hatch date, kept together always. The people I rescued them from said they loved to "snuggle" with each other. As Tom said, "that not snuggling". Seems I can't insert the picture at this time. My next post will be the photo I was referring to.

Bre Chiasson

I'm hoping we can get you to understand without upsetting you and making you leave, but those tortoises were not friends and the one probably died from complications caused by chronic stress. Without even knowing the COD in this case, I can make an educated guess about it. I see it all the time. A pair of tortoises that are side-by-side, or face-to-face, or following each other around, or sleeping together are not friends. One or both are telling the other to "GET OUT!!!" of my territory. The submissive can't leave, and the dominant can't understand why the other one won't leave the territory and it stresses both of them out. The aren't pal-ing around. That is crowding and its classic tortoise aggression.

They should not be kept in pairs. It goes against their solitary nature and its bad for them.

In other news:
My babies are about 3 weeks old now. Ready to go in a few more days. All are eating well, super hydrated, and getting an hour of sunshine several times a week.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I think I'll just keep the one I have and not get another.