Looking to buy a hatchling sulcata

Mary Siarski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Hi I am new to the forum and excited to be a part of the community. I am looking to buy a hatchling and curious about the dangers of buying off of Craigslist. Can someone please provide guidance for where I should buy me baby from?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If your in Phoenix I have a few for sale. The important things to look for are diet and hydration. Ask the seller about water dishes and soakings. Look for any pyramiding that has already started. If the baby has been kept dry, run away. Most other problems from the seller can be fixed once you get your baby, but there is no fixing it if it has not been hydrated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mary!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hello and welcome!!!

I would be wary of craigslist..... Especially if this is your first tortoise.

+1 on going with a reputable breeder, check the marketplace here on the forum, as well as the Sponsor page.

www.tortoisesupply.com are members here and get very great reviews from everybody, on both animals and product.

Best of luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

READ THIS FIRST!!!:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
Do NOT buy from one of these dry breeders. This thread will tell you what to ask of any breeder you find, and what to watch out for. Babies should be put in a brooder box right after hatching, they should be soaked daily, and when they move to a real enclosure, they should have a humid hide, damp substrate and a shallow water dish. I would not buy from anyone who does not meet the above requirements. The people who meet these requirements are few and far between.

Then read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

There is a lot of old, out-dated, incorrect info circulating around out there in the world right now. These threads will get you started in the right direction and make your sulcata experience a positive one.

If you tell us where you are located, we can give advice specific to your area.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
See if @Lancecham has any available at this time of year. We have nothing for PRAISE AND KUDOS about the 'lil sully hstchling we purchased from Lance. No problems at all with the transaction, and most importantly NO issues at all with our Sully. He's growing like a monster!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
See if @Lancecham has any available at this time of year. We have nothing for PRAISE AND KUDOS about the 'lil sully hstchling we purchased from Lance. No problems at all with the transaction, and most importantly NO issues at all with our Sully. He's growing like a monster!
Happy birthday!
Hope you're having a great day! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mary, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Good luck in your search, all the information you need is here and hopefully a trusted supplier of sulcatas will have a suitable baby for you.
Glad to have you with us.

Mary Siarski

5 Year Member
Houston
Thank you all very much! We rescued a 4 yr old a few months ago and fell absolutely head over heels in love. We have been doing some great research and have now read everything suggested above plus hours and hours more in the forum. Thank you all for the warm welcome and well received advice!!