Looking to get a second Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torque21

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
So in November I purchased my first tort, a young redfoot who we named "Torque". The poor girl had parasites and other problems that led to pneumonia. Since then, up until a few weeks ago, she was on all different kinds of medication and was very inactive. But now she is a little ball of energy! It's a miracle! Now that she is finally happy and healthy I have been thinking about getting her a friend... A baby red or yellowfoot.

What is the best way to introduce them? Do they need to be kept separate for a certain amount of time? If they both have a clean bill of health couldn't they just jump right into the same enclosure?
Let me know!

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of breeders or anywhere else I could find babies please post!

Thanks all!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I'm understandably biased,but I would recommend a reputable breeder. Normally small breeders have a closed colony,without animals coming in and shipping out. This reduces the chances of bringing in problems(disease,parasites,etc.) that could spread to the rest of the animals. As far as quarentine,folks have different opinions. A month to six weeks should be plenty,in my opinion. Just pick your breeder carefully. There are several very reputable redfoot breeders on the forum,who I would not hesitate to do business with. Just do a little research,don't be afraid to ask questions(to the breeders and folks who have done business with them),and you should be fine. Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are looking for a older one, there is a member of this forum who has to sell hers. She will not ship though, at this point anyway. Look in the for sale threads on the forum.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
jackrat said:
I'm understandably biased,but I would recommend a reputable breeder. Normally small breeders have a closed colony,without animals coming in and shipping out. This reduces the chances of bringing in problems(disease,parasites,etc.) that could spread to the rest of the animals. As far as quarentine,folks have different opinions. A month to six weeks should be plenty,in my opinion. Just pick your breeder carefully. There are several very reputable redfoot breeders on the forum,who I would not hesitate to do business with. Just do a little research,don't be afraid to ask questions(to the breeders and folks who have done business with them),and you should be fine. Good luck!

Agreed, 100%.

You want to keep in mind that the pair may not get along. For this reason, you need to be prepared financially and mentally for the possibility of two separate enclosures. I tend to agree that pairs generally aren't the best scenario, leaning toward small groups or single tortoises but redfoots seem to be an exception (in most cases) for tolerating one another. Just bear this in mind. I'd opt for 3+ vs. a single pair.

P.S. I don't know what you're looking for, but Jackrat has some very gorgeous northern & Guyana lines.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Torque21 said:
So in November I purchased my first tort, a young redfoot who we named "Torque". The poor girl had parasites and other problems that led to pneumonia. Since then, up until a few weeks ago, she was on all different kinds of medication and was very inactive. But now she is a little ball of energy! It's a miracle! Now that she is finally happy and healthy I have been thinking about getting her a friend... A baby red or yellowfoot.

What is the best way to introduce them? Do they need to be kept separate for a certain amount of time? If they both have a clean bill of health couldn't they just jump right into the same enclosure?
Let me know!

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of breeders or anywhere else I could find babies please post!

Thanks all!

Also, I wouldn't mix a yellowfoot with a redfoot. Yellowfoots need higher humidity and are less tolerant to fluctuations in temps/humidity. Not to mention they may harbor similar but different parasites/pathogens that could be fatal to the other species.

Of course, the choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.