Looks like a Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrymeister

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Didcot
I have just been "donated" a tortoise by a friend whose child didn't want him anymore.

Trouble is I don't know what he is. He looks JUST like a Sulcata, except they were told when they bought him they were just told he was mediterranean.

It's the raised domey bits on the shell and the stripes on his sides that make me think he is an African Sulcata, but could it be that this is a common trait amongst other tortoises and I just haven't found a picture of what he could be?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you take a picture and post it, we can give a go at IDing your tortoise. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Larry:

177817qip70wrto4.gif
to the forum!!

Sometimes the "wording" gets mixed up because the Greek tortoise is called a "Mediterranean spur thigh" and a sulcata is sometimes referred to as a "spurred" tortoise, or an "African Spurred tortoise."

I don't think little sulcatas have stripes, though, so I'm guessing that it's not a sulcata.

Go to the GOOGLE search engine page, click on "images" up in the top left hand corner, then type in Mediterranean tortoise. This will give you plenty of pictures to compare your tortoise to.

moswen

5 Year Member
well, if you can't post a pic, the "raised domey bits" on his shell is actually pyramiding, and any tortoise can get that, but that's bad. it's debatable what causes it (not enough humidity, too much protein in the diet, lack of excersize, & etc) , but no tort in the wild has pyramiding, but that's not just reserved for sulcatas... it's just less likely for, say, redfoots or radiateds to get them because they come from a naturally humid environment, so they are usually provided with humidity. also, my greek does have what you're describing as "stripes on her sides" along the bottom rim of her shell and also as a little half circle around the top half of all her individual scutes on the top of her shell. also, russians can have black similiar to this on their shell as well. you could look up those pics and see if they match what you have. greeks are mediterranean, but they're also referred to as "spurred" and so a lot of people get these confused with sulcatas, as sulcatas are "spur thighed" tortoises. (or is it the other way around? lol!) so you could try to look those up and see what you find. you may also search forstens tortoise, as i've recently found some pics of them and they could have black along the side like what you're talking about. but they're rather rare in captivity still. also, leopards have black on their shells when they are younger as well! lol, so there are several for you to look at. if you can get a pic up here though, i'm sure we would have no problems with identifying it for you!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That is very kind of you to take in this unwanted tortoise. :)

Here's a pretty easy way to post photos: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

The sooner the experts here can identify your tortoise, the sooner you can get it set up properly so that it grows healthy and strong. You will be amazed at how interesting and endearing these reptiles can be! ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Larry...you can't take proper care of this tortoise unless you know exactly what species it is. So I am hoping you will google pictures or post some here so we can help you...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Larry joined the forum, made his post, signed out and never came back...Larry has left the building!!!

moswen

5 Year Member
Well I hope he found out what it was... Else one of us might be making a new area for a new tortoise in about a year.

Larrymeister

5 Year Member
Didcot
UPDATE

We took him to our favourite exotics pet shop and she took one look and nearly cried. He is a greek spurred tortoise, might be a she, but in a bad state.

We knew the doming was a sign that he had been neglected by previous owners, but we didn't know how bad it was! Soft shell, overgrown beak and claws...she sent us straight to the vets!

Vets trimmed his beak and claws for us and we bought some calcium to shake on his food. Giving him a bath twice a day so he drinks and putting him on the lawn for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

He still isn't eating properly and he sleeps a lot. We grated some carrot to see if that gets him going on liking solid lumps of carrot but he doesn't took it. He'll eat maybe a dandelion leaf when he's out, but doesn't touch him food indoors.

The plan is to sink a dog cage outside so he can live out there, but don't want to go to the expense while he's sick.

Time will tell, will be back for more advice!

Oh, and sorry I disappeared, I lost my post and couldn't get the photos up because I have no internet at home at the moment!

Thanks for all the concern :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.