Losing toenails and shedding skin

Sully mom

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury, MD
Start to add baby carrot food to the soaks of your baby. Soak twice a day for 40 min. The water must stay warm during the soak.
How do you measure your temps and humidity ? Digital ?
Have you fed vitamin supplements ?
Please upload some pics of your tort.
I sprinkle Nutobal on his food once a week. I have digital thermometers and humidity gauge .

Attachments

• IMG_20180829_201507.jpg
    IMG_20180829_201507.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180905_183941.jpg
    IMG_20180905_183941.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37

Bee62

Germany
Nutobal contains vitamin A ?
Vitamin A in a too high dose causes skin shedding and mayby even the issue with the nails. Tortoises need no extra vitamins when they are fed a wide diet of weeds and herbs.
Is this a actual pic of your tort ? On the first pic I can see the egg tooth. How old is your baby at present ?

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
That was an early picture . That is the fist day I got him. He is about 10 weeks old now. These pics are from about 5 minutes ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_201631.jpg
    IMG_20180907_201631.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180907_201619.jpg
    IMG_20180907_201619.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40

Bee62

Germany
That was an early picture . That is the fist day I got him. He is about 10 weeks old now. These pics are from about 5 minutes ago.
Sorry, but from these pics I can`t see any skin shedding or lost nails.
Please stop feeding the vitamins, soak a long time and twice every day and bump up the temps in your enclosure. Night temps between 83 - 85 F with a CHE.
Day temps 85 in the whole enclosure and 103 F at the basking light.
Humidity 85 - 90 %.
That should help your baby.

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
Sorry, but from these pics I can`t see any skin shedding or lost nails.
Please stop feeding the vitamins, soak a long time and twice every day and bump up the temps in your enclosure. Night temps between 83 - 85 F with a CHE.
Day temps 85 in the whole enclosure and 103 F at the basking light.
Humidity 85 - 90 %.
That should help your baby.

Doing all I can. I will stop the Nutobal.here is a close up of the foot

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_204846.jpg
    IMG_20180907_204846.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and hope to hear things are better with your cute little tort.

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
After a night of warmth and a long carrot soak he is a little more livily today. Still not interested in food but he did keep trying to escape his bath. His activity level is a little better. Thank you all for checking in.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
After a night of warmth and a long carrot soak he is a little more livily today. Still not interested in food but he did keep trying to escape his bath. His activity level is a little better. Thank you all for checking in.
Good to hear that he's a little more active.

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
He is still a bit sluggish but when presented with food he shows interest. He will open his mouth a little and move his head towards it. He has yet to take a bite. I would take him to his vet but they aren't open until Wednesday and there is no emergency vet that see torts. ☹️

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
He is still a bit sluggish but when presented with food he shows interest. He will open his mouth a little and move his head towards it. He has yet to take a bite. I would take him to his vet but they aren't open until Wednesday and there is no emergency vet that see torts. ☹️

Thanks for the updates. Best you can do is keep up with the warm water and baby carrot food soaks, maintain good humidity and proper temperatures. Fingers crossed here for u and your sully.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
There’s some good info here from @Yvonne G - she says, although the carrot soaks will help....we need to really determine what caused your baby to get sick. Heres the thread - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/temps-and-lighting.148534/#post-1407829

Maybe @Yvonne G can help more on frequency of carrot soakings, ive read 2x - 3x per day.
Thank you. I am sure it was the temperatures. I have fixed that issue and I'm sure his vet can help as well on Wednesday. I just hope I'm not too late.

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
Little guy is still trying. I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow instead of Wednesday. Doesn't want to eat at all and sleeps constantly. Only wakes up during carrot soaks. He still holds his head up and can stand up. Hopefully we can make it to the vet and get him back up and running.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Little guy is still trying. I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow instead of Wednesday. Doesn't want to eat at all and sleeps constantly. Only wakes up during carrot soaks. He still holds his head up and can stand up. Hopefully we can make it to the vet and get him back up and running.

Good luck - I’m hoping your vet can help diagnose the underlying issue. Fingers crossed - pls give an update when u get back.