Lost please help!

ELLIE753

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom, West Sussex
Lost my 15 year old Hermann! She escaped her outdoor pen she has been gone for about 24 hours now and I feel as though I have looked every where! Has anyone got any advice for drawing her out from where ever she is hiding. Any perticular food or maybe setting up a heat lamp outside at night to see if it drawers her in! Any advice would be very much appreciated! Feeling really sad!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Leave the out door pen open and place it's favorite food inside.
I only ever had one tortoise escape. He didn't know he was supposed to be hiding and was found trying to get back inside the pen for food I suppose.
I hope that your story also ends well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Quickly alert the neighborhood children that it is missing and post some sort of a reward.
Kids end up finding them and thinking that they might want to keep it.
They'll also be looking for it for a reward. Lots of extra eyes....
Also, in the afternoon, search any areas that are paved or cemented. The tortoise may look for radiant heat to rest on.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Flyers on lamp posts, ask at local vets and animal sanctuaries, favourite food and bright lights.
Good luck.
Don't despair, sometimes they go missing for days, weeks or even months and suddenly turn up again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I always let Sally my Ornate Box turtle in my backyard and she leaves me for a couple years and always finds her way back when we are moving. Smart animals they are.
More than clever. That one seems to be psychic!

I'm so sorry! However, there is a very good chance that she will come back. I lost Myrtle for over a month but one of my neighbors found her crossing the road in perfect health. I agree with the other posters, make sure to put up flyers. I tried the basking lamp outside in the very early morning, but our place has lots of shrubs and bushes so I think it was hard for her to see. Worth a shot though.
Praying for your tort's safe return!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is your yard fully fenced? I'm asking whether, once the tortoise is out of HIS yard, can he then also get out of YOUR yard?

If you think he's still in your yard, first thing in the morning, when the sun first hits the yard, look next to the fence where the sun first hits. I don't keep Hermanni, but my Russian tortoises all line up along the fence at first sun, taking in the rays.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get down on your hands and knees and check every bit of cover and loose dirt. They are often right there in front of you and just well hidden.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I always let Sally my Ornate Box turtle in my backyard and she leaves me for a couple years and always finds her way back when we are moving. Smart animals they are.
I must say, you are lucky if you tort finds its way back home.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Lost my 15 year old Hermann! She escaped her outdoor pen she has been gone for about 24 hours now and I feel as though I have looked every where! Has anyone got any advice for drawing her out from where ever she is hiding. Any perticular food or maybe setting up a heat lamp outside at night to see if it drawers her in! Any advice would be very much appreciated! Feeling really sad!!
Extremely sorry to have heard you sad story and hope your tort will return soon.

A lady I know has many torts in here garden, but she doesn't like them: they were indirectly imposed on her. She tried to get rid of them and they kept RETURNING, believe me. So please don't give up hope. Your tort may come back soon.

Keep us posted please, and good luck.