Lost Sulcata

Cameron_22

Location (City and/or State)
England
I’ve lost my 5 year old male sulcata, he has escaped from the garden, he has done this once before and we found him straight away, it has been two days now and still no sign , we back onto fields, Would he just be wandering in open fields? And will be come back? I’ve left food at the opening where he has escaped, it is now raining and I’m rather worried, I’ve notified neighbours, just unsure if there is anything more I can do :(

Attachments

• 7D14EFBA-FA15-4E9E-8E0C-3F264031E9F8.jpeg
    7D14EFBA-FA15-4E9E-8E0C-3F264031E9F8.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 21

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I’ve lost my 5 year old male sulcata, he has escaped from the garden, he has done this once before and we found him straight away, it has been two days now and still no sign , we back onto fields, Would he just be wandering in open fields? And will be come back? I’ve left food at the opening where he has escaped, it is now raining and I’m rather worried, I’ve notified neighbours, just unsure if there is anything more I can do :(
I'm so sorry. You can get the "NextDoor" app & post there, run an ad on Craigslist, post signs around the neighborhood, or post with your homeowners' assoc. if in one. Don't give up on looking around your yard & close-in fields, especially places he might burrow in against the heat.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Tortoises have a refined sense of place (territory) and smell. They know where "home" is/was.

Cool weather complicates things with this species because they may slow down and stop somewhere.

Kids are great at finding tortoises (even very small ones)...they have keener eyesight and are closer to the ground (and don't mind getting down and crawling - which it sounds like you need to do with your property). Knock on all the neighborhood doors (all sides of the field) and let folks know you are looking for your family pet...offer a reward for its safe return.

Sulcata evolved their coloring to blend in completely with grasses - get permission, if you need it, to go through the yard and surrounding properties on your knees. The carapace can be easier to feel than to see.