Lost Sulcata

kym mccall

This is my boy Sherman. Recently. 06/2014, I was informed that my neighbors, "Luv R Paca's Llama Farm", in Los Banos, Ca. had him. He has been missing since 12/2013. He wandered onto their ranch. They have been holding him in a shed all this time. When I found out and went over there, they were not too eager to let me see him. But they did. As soon as he heard my voice he perked up, came out of his shell and started for me. As I explained to the woman. "see he knows me" she replied "he does that to everyone. That was the last time I saw my friend of 21 years. Since then, they have play a vicious game with me. The Sheriff department, which I called right away, explained to me that the Morris's know the law in Los Banos county, and after so many days the animal belongs to them. I do not believe this to be true for reptiles. Even through the officer belives he is mine, he knows nothing about reptiles. The identifying marks on his shell, fall on deaf ears. He says this is a civil matter. I have to take them to small claims court. So, before I could get the ball rolling, the shed gets broken into and my boy is gone. They did not even feel the need to report the break in. I found out a week after. One of my friends, supposedly, sent them a threating email, according to them. They filed a police report on that. They mentioned that someone broke into the shed, and they believe it was me. Which is an out in out lie. They still did not feel the need to file a police report on the break in only the threating email. I asked to see the email, with no avail. I find this to be B.S. just like the months I had been dealing with them trying to get them to return my Shermie. Now, they say he is gone. They take no responsibility for his disappearance or my deep loss. This has left me depressed and emotionally crippled. I have been looking for him for over 9 months now. I seen him once for a few minutes, I feel I have failed him.
They knew of my lost n found ad on Craigslist and did nothing to let me know to give him back.
They have judge me, used their Chruch connections, and their community ties to be my judge and jury. Not once thinking about Sherman or me and our long loving friendship that we have shared together. This is just a synopsis of what has transpired since June when I found out they had him. I have limited funds and no car, so it is slow going. But I will post any chance I get to tell my story, because I will not go away. I will find my boy and bring him home. Thank you so much for reading this. I am a member now on this forum if anyone can help me or give me some insight on how to handle my civil case.shermen tank.jpg shermen tank.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, what a bunch of A****. I wonder if he really got stolen or if they just said that and rehomed him with someone else until,they think it's safe to bring him back again. If you have pictures of him, I don't understand how you were not able to get him back, that's BULL. I am so sorry for you and him. I do hope you get him back. I would report that he was stolen, do even now, that you know who stole him and that now they have removed him from their property and will not give him back or let you know where he is. I would also make these people's lives a living Hell.
Good luck, I sure hope it works out and please keep us posted.
You may want to put up another ad for him being gone/lost/stolen, just incase he really is missing from your neighbors whereabouts.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm probably mistaken but I don't think you need a lawyer in small claims court. And that law is bullshit. That means anybody could steal what they want and as long as they keep it hidden for long enough they can keep it. Why is there so much tension between you two? What has happened in the past that they would try so hard to screw you over? Whatever it is fix it. Just talk to them and see what you can make happen . Try working with them to find your sullie. Even if you don't like it apologize for whatever wrong they think you've done to them so you can move forward and find this tort. Good luck

Kim444

5 Year Member
How anyone could not want to return an animal to it's rightful owner is beyond me. They likely just said he was stolen and moved him so he couldn't be taken from them.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
This is absolutely infuriating, I would go completely berserk if I found someone had stolen any of my animal babies and they had the audacity to try and keep them. I hope you get your baby back, and I hope they get whats coming to them, karma can be a (female dog). :mad:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Perhaps you could try checking with the local pet shelters to see if they can advise you. They are likely to have run into this type situation before.

Another option is to talk to their minister and ask him or her to mediate. Also, you could try talking to the legal aid society.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Where do you live?

I am with Kevin on this, swallow your pride and hurt feelings, be level headed, try to smooth things over, ask their pastor/minister to help like WillTort2 suggested. I know it sucks, but sometimes, when someone has the upper hand (even though they are in the wrong) you have to play their game in order to get what you want.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I just cannot understand how can they still go to church?? There conscience will not accusing them? What will a Christian can lie like this? A normal person will have better integrity.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Impressive story.
My thoughts go with you.
I sincerely hope you find your friend again and I wish you the best.

Joey

Ps perhaps starting a petition in your
Community to try and get more people involved might be something to look into?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I'm very sorry to here about this happening to you & your tortoise...I hope things work out for you!!!!