lost turtle in Riverside, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlecare

5 Year Member
Hello,
My neighbor brought me what appears to be a red earred water turtle that was found in her daughter's garage in Riverside, CA.
I have a fish pond, but am afraid he will eat my fish.
I have in a safe part of the pond temporarily.
He swims, but seems very tame & likely someone is searching for him.
I tried to feed him fruit, lettuce & chicken, but he doesn't seem interested.
Please respond if he is yours or you are local & adopt water turtles. He is maybe 8" diameter.
Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi turtlecare:

Welcome to the Forum!!

More than likely your 8" RES is a female. She probably escaped her home looking for a place to lay eggs. They are not native to California and should not be allowed to live in a pond where they can get out and maybe get into a waterway.

If you can't find her owner and don't want her, there are quite a few rescues and clubs in the SoCal area. Look up the California Turtle & Tortoise club on the 'net and find a chapter near you.

The turtle might eat something that wiggles, like a worm or cricket, etc. They can't swallow unless they are under water, so they usually won't take food out of the water.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Besides your pond, are there any other ponds near you it may have come from. It may have either escaped or was released by someone.

turtlesavernlover

5 Year Member
turtlecare said:
Hello,
My neighbor brought me what appears to be a red earred water turtle that was found in her daughter's garage in Riverside, CA.
I have a fish pond, but am afraid he will eat my fish.
I have in a safe part of the pond temporarily.
He swims, but seems very tame & likely someone is searching for him.
I tried to feed him fruit, lettuce & chicken, but he doesn't seem interested.
Please respond if he is yours or you are local & adopt water turtles. He is maybe 8" diameter.
Thank you.
if you can't find the owner and you still have the turtle and don't want it i can take it i rescue unwanted turtles and most of them are red ear sliders let me know and this may sound out there but if you have cat's get some of there hard food and put some in the pond with her she will eat it and it's ok for them it won't hurt her email me at [email protected] if you need me to take her thank's

Status
Not open for further replies.