Greetings from Fresno, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Joined the forum to learn to care for a new tortoise that will one day be given to me daughter Hannah.
Currently I have 3 red eared sliders, 2 in an outdoor pond and one (rescue) in a tank in the living room. She will join the others in the spring.

My dad was a high school biology teacher so growing up we had several pets that were close to road kill. I remember having 5 pond turtles at one time. All found and brought to "the biology teacher" to give them a good home. We also had at least two Tortoises and a box turtle. I also had a box turtle that i found in the roots of a tree me grampa was digging out of the ground. All of these pets were before the age of 10, so care was not something i had to learn.

My first choice was the CA Dester Tortoise but reading they were protected and id have to get a permit and all that, i gave up that idea fast.

My sister had the honor of baby sitting a 75lb sulcata a few years back and she keeps saying she wished she could have kept him so thats what i was thinking until i kept reading they don't hibernate.

At the moment im working in the garage to build a table that will be home to the new addition when ever he shows up. Over the next few weeks ill post pictures of the table and whole space that will be home for the first years of Hannah's new pets life.

Murray

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello welcome to the TFO :)what other tort are you thinking about:cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. CDTs are great torts and the permit is free and very easy to get. There happens to be a turtle and tortoise rescue right near you in Clovis. I'm sure she'll be along to welcome you shortly. Her name is Yvonne and her username is emysemys. She's a very nice person and I'm sure she can help you out, whichever way you decide to go.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Murray:

Welcome to the forum!!

It just so happens that I have a couple of desert tortoise babies that need a new home. As it also happens, I have a very young sulcata that needs a home too.

Whichever one you decide upon, just let me know when you're ready.

The desert tortoises that I have are just babies and babies are a little hard for new tortoise keepers to work with. However, if you can get them past the "hatchling" stage and into the "yearling" stage, I know you would be totally happy with a desert tortoise. They are very personable and get to be quite people oriented. Plus they hibernate! A big plus that gives you respite from tortoise-keeping over the winter.

I know that you've read the sulcata challenge, so you know what to expect from a Sulcata, but besides all that, they are very people oriented too. If you have the space for one and can keep him safe during all his antics, I know you won't be disappointed there either.

Whatever you decide...

Once you become familiar with the forum's format we'd love to see pictures of your tort table project.

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome to the forum...Be careful Murray or my sister will have you loaded up with tortoises and your pond full of turtles...lol

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Wow, peole actually read this...

I've been working all day in my garage in preparation for Hannah's tortorise. I have pics but will wait to post till the enclosure is near done. I've added a new circuit to the garage for tortoise and what ever he/she needs. I've hung drywall and tomorrow will paint. If time permits ill build the box that will hold my baby for the first years .
Thanks to all for the welcome!

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.