Macrogreens....

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I dedicate one of our 4X4 raised beds to tort-food each summer and mostly just plant seeds from a microgreens mix, then pick &reseed throughout the summer.

297456644_10160633649352697_5205322016151028733_n.jpg

This morning I pulled all of the fully grown greens, a big basketful, and fed it to all of the tortoises... they're all crunching happily through huge piles of greens, except Aretha, who doesn't like greens as much as the others.

Jamie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I dedicate one of our 4X4 raised beds to tort-food each summer and mostly just plant seeds from a microgreens mix, then pick &reseed throughout the summer.

View attachment 348465

This morning I pulled all of the fully grown greens, a big basketful, and fed it to all of the tortoises... they're all crunching happily through huge piles of greens, except Aretha, who doesn't like greens as much as the others.

Jamie
Fab they look great!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is that Persephone and Chilli?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Is that Persephone and Chilli?
It's Persephone and Eunice, the newest rescued female... I'm wondering if she's permanently stunted by her previous living situation, because she hasn't put on almost any weight in the time she's lived here.

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I knew Persephone. Eunice looks smaller than Chilli. Persephone looks wonderful! I'm so happy you got her.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I knew Persephone. Eunice looks smaller than Chilli. Persephone looks wonderful! I'm so happy you got her.
Eunice lived in NJ for a long while in a small enclosure under sub-optimal conditions... I've been surprised that she hasn't really grown since coming to live with us, but figure she may have missed some growth window and be stuck at this size.

Persephone is the Russian tortoise who comes over for scratches when I'm feeding them or cleaning their enclosure. She's a stunning specimen of tanklike build and strength and I'm so happy that she came to live with us.

Jamie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The leopard I rescued that was kept in a 10 gallon aquarium and was still a hatching size at about 3 years of age took quite a while to finally start growing. I'd guess around 8 months to a year at least if not more.
Then I have a rescued Russian that is a small male and hasn't grown much since I took him in and that's been over 9 years now.

Reactions: Ink