Making your own hand sanitizer?

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
Until a few months ago, most of us didn’t give hand sanitizer much thought. Now it’s sold out around the world, prompting a variety of do-it-yourself recipes that are designed to be mixed up in a home kitchen.
But medical experts discourage D.I.Y. sanitizer for a variety of reasons. For starters, it lacks quality control — a wrong measurement or ingredient and you may end up with less alcohol than needed to kill germs, or a mixture that is contaminated.“We don’t have sterile production facilities in our houses,” said Dr. Ted Lain, a dermatologist and chief medical officer for Sanova Dermatology, a group of 15 medical practices in Texas and Louisiana. “I’m concerned the percentage of alcohol is going to be incorrect. I’m concerned that the tools that are going to be used for it are not sterile and could be introducing bacteria, fungi and viruses into the hand sanitizer. And you hear about essential oils and other things being added that can cause contact sensitization,” or allergic reactions.
And then there’s the larger concern that sanitizer — whether it’s store bought or home made — is not as effective at killing germs as just washing your hands with soap and water.
Well I wash dogs for a living so , honestly I wash my hands , probably, more than you can imagine, with the bath , and most times after because well alot of things happen to dogs, so it can be nasty at times, and I have been making homemade sanitizer and soap and lotion on the side for over 20 years, so I have a large about if knowledge when it comes to sanition, and before I work with animals I was a professional cake Baker/ decorator, for the last 10 years so I had to take a class every year on saniton, and germs, food and airborn, and communal, so I have a huge understanding of this, and your right hand sanitizer should only be a backup, but it's a good substitute for when you leave a store , or can't wash your hands, right away, never to replace soap and water, of course, and at this time I am not selling homemade items because of the outbreak , I don't feel it is safe to do so, but I still do for myself and family, because I do have the knowledge to make safe products, and I understand most people don't have the years of sanition I have behind me, however I still feel people should use this when leaving a public place, till they can wash there hands with soap and water, it's a good back up,

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Well I wash dogs for a living so , honestly I wash my hands , probably, more than you can imagine, with the bath , and most times after because well alot of things happen to dogs, so it can be nasty at times, and I have been making homemade sanitizer and soap and lotion on the side for over 20 years, so I have a large about if knowledge when it comes to sanition, and before I work with animals I was a professional cake Baker/ decorator, for the last 10 years so I had to take a class every year on saniton, and germs, food and airborn, and communal, so I have a huge understanding of this, and your right hand sanitizer should only be a backup, but it's a good substitute for when you leave a store , or can't wash your hands, right away, never to replace soap and water, of course, and at this time I am not selling homemade items because of the outbreak , I don't feel it is safe to do so, but I still do for myself and family, because I do have the knowledge to make safe products, and I understand most people don't have the years of sanition I have behind me, however I still feel people should use this when leaving a public place, till they can wash there hands with soap and water, it's a good back up,
Totally agree, do you own any tortoises?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Yes, I have a very spoiled 11-14 year old redfoot named pumpkin, she's a brat, lol..
I would love to keep one currently have a Sulcata 8 months and a eastern Herman’s. They are brats as well sometimes they will just eat 1 type of food when I offer them 5 different ones.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I would love to keep one currently have a Sulcata 8 months and a eastern Herman’s. They are brats as well sometimes they will just eat 1 type of food when I offer them 5 different ones.
Sounds like my girl, she really spoiled and knows it to, I will spend hours resetting up her home, because she's indoors and I heard it's good to change it up once Ina while , and she will go and redecorate it, just because she can I swear she knows what she is doing, lol

jeneliza

burton michigan
Sounds like my girl, she really spoiled and knows it to, I will spend hours resetting up her home, because she's indoors and I heard it's good to change it up once Ina while , and she will go and redecorate it, just because she can I swear she knows what she is doing, lol
I like to have more but , being I live in Michigan, and we get cold weather, I have to have her indoors, so I don't have room right now, I would love to have a sulcan but they get way to big, and it wouldn't be fair to keep one in a small home, but if I could I have one for sure