Male or female?? LEA or Leo??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Water dish is good. Yes, the tarp I tape up on the outside of the greenhouse but you don't have too. Try both hays. If she will eat both then feed both. If you can work some grass and natural tort safe weeds that would be good too. As big a variety as you can get. Here's a link to look up safe foods.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
Water dish is good. Yes, the tarp I tape up on the outside of the greenhouse but you don't have too. Try both hays. If she will eat both then feed both. If you can work some grass and natural tort safe weeds that would be good too. As big a variety as you can get. Here's a link to look up safe foods.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Ok awesome this is very helpful and what substrate do you use?? I am very skeptical about the urging my tort out in the grass I don’t want her to eat something she isn’t supposed to and I had a family members tort get sprayed by the lawn people so I’m very scared to let her outside on the lawn and just eat whatever is out there [emoji856]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to know if the lawn is safe. Pesticide and fertilizer free. However, during the warm months she really needs to be a to live outside, at least during the day. Tortoises really aren't meant to be a strictly inside pet, specially the larger species like you have. A proper set up enclosure outside that is safe from chemicals, dogs and any other predators is really needed. Until then though, if the grass is free from pesticides etc, you can go pull some grass.

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
You have to know if the lawn is safe. Pesticide and fertilizer free. However, during the warm months she really needs to be a to live outside, at least during the day. Tortoises really aren't meant to be a strictly inside pet, specially the larger species like you have. A proper set up enclosure outside that is safe from chemicals, dogs and any other predators is really needed. Until then though, if the grass is free from pesticides etc, you can go pull some grass.

Thank you for all your help wellington

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So do you put the tort outside in the same enclosure???
Do you mean the greenhouse enclosure? That would get too hot. But you could use it if you have a fenced in area where the tortoise could freely go into the greenhouse if it wanted too and then out of it on its own when it wanted too. I don't use mine that way because I have a shed for them to go into at night etc during the summer months.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, and because one of my torts is a big brat, I have also had to put a board in front of the zipper door. She had found her way out several times, the turd. Tweaking always having to be done LOL

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
Oh, and because one of my torts is a big brat, I have also had to put a board in front of the zipper door. She had found her way out several times, the turd. Tweaking always having to be done LOL

My Lea also is a turd and has crawled out a couple of times and so I put a tarp outside and inside and was thinking about boarding but... so far putting the huge tarp outside has fixed it!