Another question about leo outside time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
Do you put your leo out above or under a certain temp? What about cloudy or overcast days? Do you bring in during warm rain or drizzles? Just curious

As always thanks for putting up with my 20 question! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The short answer is: 65 or above and sunny is good enough.

The long answer is: It depends on where you live, your tortoises age and size, humidity, how long you intend to leave them out, what the weather is like, what you are putting them in, etc... With babies, I'm much more careful. With adults, they can just live outside in my part of the country.

My sulcatas live outside and they seem to always come out in the rain in the middle of winter. Doesn't seem to bother them in the least. Some people have trouble with Leopards and humidity while others don't. I haven't been able to figure out why that is yet. It would be wise to err on the side of caution with young ones.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I kept mine indoor when they were only a couple weeks old being hatchlings, but after a short time, I have had them outside 24/7. They have a large outdoor area where they have access to the sun, the shade with bushes, and also I had someone custom make a tortoise house for them. It's like a dog house but made it high with a build in place to put heat lamps for the winter. They also have a ramp built up of dirt. So they can bask in the sun, go under a bush for shade, also have logs/rocks laying down for them to hide and cover or they have the option to go in their home, which has a bottom on it so they don't get soaked when it rains. They do dig a little under this bush I have for them, but I have trained them all to to in their den so that's what they do at night or when the weather is bad. I do more soaks in the summer too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortieLuver said:
I kept mine indoor when they were only a couple weeks old being hatchlings, but after a short time, I have had them outside 24/7. They have a large outdoor area where they have access to the sun, the shade with bushes, and also I had someone custom make a tortoise house for them. It's like a dog house but made it high with a build in place to put heat lamps for the winter. They also have a ramp built up of dirt. So they can bask in the sun, go under a bush for shade, also have logs/rocks laying down for them to hide and cover or they have the option to go in their home, which has a bottom on it so they don't get soaked when it rains. They do dig a little under this bush I have for them, but I have trained them all to to in their den so that's what they do at night or when the weather is bad. I do more soaks in the summer too.

Have you posted pics of all this great stuff? I would love to see your set-up and your tortoises. What part of the country are you in? If you've already posted this stuff, I apologize, as I missed it. Maybe you could do a link to the thread for us? :rolleyes: Please.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Good afternoon Tom. I live in Arizona..the warm state. I have a ton of pics, but haven't sent any on this site before. I am still learning some of the basics on this site and how to post pics. I have corresponded with a few of the forum members and have sent pics through their e-mails before by attachments, but not on-line. I will do some more research, as I would love to post in photo gallery.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
Thanks for the posts :) I'm in Maryland off the bay, so it can get humid here in the summer. The outdoor enclosure has room to hide from the rain, but since the little one is still a baby, I bring him in just before night and I'll do the same for the rain.

I am still curious about what some others do?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just FYI you are only allowed 23 questions then you account gets banned so use them wisely :)

J/K in case you were wondering.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
dmmj said:
Just FYI you are only allowed 23 questions then you account gets banned so use them wisely :)

J/K in case you were wondering.

Ah nuts.. I better make them good! lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.