new leo...concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortelini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newberg, OR
Okay so my hubby suprised me with a little leo for Valentines Day! Stay back girls, he's mine! :p

I do have some concerns...first, this is my first leo and my first hatchling. I have had boxies and russians nearly my entire life, but this is new ground. Second, she seems to be eating well, but otherwise pretty inactive. She only opens her eyes during her soak and while she's eating. I know that babies sleep a lot but it's giving me a weird feeling. I checked temps cause I saw another thread that said it could be too hot in her enclosure. Right now it's 87 degrees on the warm side and the cool is right about 75. Humid hide at 60% humidity. I have her in a "under the bed" type rubbermaid tub with coconut coir/playsand bedding. Two log hides, some plants and a cave type hide on the cool side. I am feeding her a mixture of grasses, dandelion and some spring mix. I also have not seen her poo yet....should I soak her more often? I hope I am just being an overprotective mommy but I'm worrying!!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Dani,
Your set-up sounds good :) What do you have for lights on the enclosure? How often are you soaking?

Danny

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
I have a 100watt MVB, and just a black light at night and the temps don't drop more than 5 degrees. I soak every morning for 10-15 minutes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Leo's don't poop as much as other species. Love your hubby for doing that! There's almost nuthing cuter then a Leo baby. Their husbandry is close to that of Sulcata...and they don't do much for the first year or so. She'll spend most of her time sleeping. Be grateful she's eating. I always get so stress when a hatchling stops eating, it's so hard to make them start up again...anyhow, I know I just said that they don't poop as much as other species...but now I'm gonna tell you to watch for poop and get it to a Vet for a fecal...Where's the pictures??? And what's her name???

maevamichelle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
So cute of your hubby to get you a baby leo!
I'm totally jealous!
I just got one a few months ago, and sometimes I look in his enclosure and just think "your so lazy" lol in a nice way hehe.
He'll eat then go back to his light but fall asleep 1/2 there. He spends most time under his light snoozing, walks over to his water, food, makes a few laps around, then back to his light and napping.

I've linked my pics so you can get an idea of his "laps" ;)
Baby Leo Tort Table

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Yay, we have poop!!:D She didn't open her eyes during her soak and I was feeling that weirdness again...lol! So, I replaced the cooled of water with warm again and brought her downstairs so she could soak longer and I could keep an eye on her. I think she may have been a little constipated as her poo was super hard...she looks brighter already!! Here's that pic...finally!!

Attachments

• jamali1.jpg
    jamali1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.