Temporary Leo Enclosure

trurkowski

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, NY
Hello,

I am in syracuse NY and with the weather turning, I decided to adopt a baby leo (4 months old) and her name is Territory Jazz.

I have set up a temporary leo enclosure until I manage to make space for a larger, more custom built one and had to adjust things recently due to low humidity during the day (The lid was off before, and I cut a hole for the lamp). I was wondering if my one 80 watt MVB is enough for this enclosure. I do also own a 24" fluorescent lamp, but I'm wary of cutting additional holes in the lid to mount it.

With the lid on, humidity seems to hover around 70-80%, but at night time it gets up to 95% and the substrate temperature sits between 70-95F depending where you are (sometimes dipping to 65 in some areas.) My substrate is a combination of sphagnum moss, coco coir, and cypress mulch.

I'm currently soaking her outside on my deck daily (when there is good morning sunlight as it is starting to get warm here) while I have my morning coffee.

Is it ok to rely only on my MVB? Also are there any noticeable problems with my enclosure that you see as well?

IMG_20180505_104940.jpg IMG_20180505_104946.jpg

trurkowski

Syracuse, NY
I have also insulated for a better seal. As temperatures are reading in the low 100s(F) on the lamp's outside, the towel should be safe right?

IMG_20180505_115438.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Use tin foil around the rim of the hole for the lights and heat. You have a fire hazard with the towel. The temps can't go below 80 day or night your tort will get sick. Get a Che and cut another hole, line with tin foil and set the fixture over the hole. Cut the hole just bigger then the Che not the fixture. Get a thermostat to run the Che so it doesn't get too hot.

trurkowski

Syracuse, NY
Get a Che and cut another hole, line with tin foil and set the fixture over the hole. Cut the hole just bigger then the Che not the fixture. Get a thermostat to run the Che so it doesn't get too hot.

Ok thank you so much. Temperatures are already better, I'll order a CHE as well.

Is one MVB enough for this enclosure? Should I add the UVB fluorescent as well?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok thank you so much. Temperatures are already better, I'll order a CHE as well.

Is one MVB enough for this enclosure? Should I add the UVB fluorescent as well?
The mvb is enough. A better way, to help on the pyramiding. As long as you have the tube flourescent, you could try to mount that to the inside top of box or the underside of lid itself. Order two Che and a thermostat to run both and don't use the mvb.

trurkowski

Syracuse, NY
Is there a particular additional way keep humidity high? I am currently just using soaked sphagnum moss underneath the heat lamp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there a particular additional way keep humidity high? I am currently just using soaked sphagnum moss underneath the heat lamp.
You really have to cover the enclosure. This keeps the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the house out. Since warm air rises and cool air stays low, the cool air rushes in under the warm air. It's impossible to keep an open-topped container humid. This is my jury rigged covered enclosure:

Covered enclosure 1.jpg Covered enclosure 2.jpg

But my tortoise partner felt sorry for me and he brought me a Vision cage he's not using:

closed chamber 4-22-18 a.jpg closed chamber 4-22-18 b.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine is similar to Yvonne's jury rigged one. I don't use moss. I have had my little one try to eat it and also had it wrapped around him. I use coconut coir or peat moss and I soak it wet, not just damp. For leopards it being wet is fine, they aren't prone too shell rot. Just don't make it soupy.