Male or female leopard tortoise?

jamie1210

10 Year Member!
I got this guy at a reptile show about 4 years ago as a hatchling. Still not sure if it's a male or female. What do you all think? 20240730_111642.jpg20240730_111648.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Usually by that age they can be sexed, but not sure if this one still looks a little small to know for certain? Either way though, looking female imo but we’ll see what others think🙂

jamie1210

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I agree that this guy's on the small side. I got 2 hatchlings at the time, and its companion has outgrown it by so much--almost double the size. Very strange! Hoping he/she will hit her growth spurt soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I agree that this guy's on the small side. I got 2 hatchlings at the time, and its companion has outgrown it by so much--almost double the size. Very strange! Hoping he/she will hit her growth spurt soon.
Are you housing them together? If so, that's a good reason one is smaller and should be seperated ASAP.
If they aren't living together, then it could be the way this one was started before you got it or possibly a male, which usually are smaller than females.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah as long as they haven’t been housed as a pair that’s had no bearings. If they are a pair though they’ll definitely need separating🙂