Male problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Hi,

I have a 13 inch male adult sulcata. Recently I have noticed him standing up high with his front lets, and making slight movements. I thought it was weird, and witnessed it again today. The first time, I didn't notice anything except for some wet urates. Today I noticed what I have come to find was his penis extended. At first, I feared it was an intestinal prolapse, until I discovered some pictures for comparison. When I noticed it, it retracted quickly. My question is, is this normal? He has been interested in my female red foots, although I do not let them run together, he makes grunting noises when he sees them. (they share a fence) I'm guessing he is just becoming more sexually active? Also, until recently, I thought he was a female.

His diet consists of mostly grass and weeds as his pen is planted heavily to the point he can't keep up. He also receives squash, and other greens. He has access to water and does not appear to be dehydrated. As stated, his stools are wet. He rarely soaks, just crosses the "river" when he needs to take a short cut.

Forgive me if this is not appropriate, which I would find it to be irrational for it NOT to be when concerning a tortoise's health.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Can u tell me how long it was? Im trying to figure out what mine is...lol

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's called "flashing"
As mentioned, it is completely normal.
Foe Sandra- after you see it for the first time, you know exactly what it is. It is pretty long.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Lol.what about if itx just 1 inch? What is that then??

theguy67

10 Year Member!
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:

Lets just say (as far as size) I am a male, and am impressed myself. I will never look at tortoises the same again lol.

Seriously though, if you are seeing something that is purple, you can assume that's what it is ( do a quick google search), but if its pink I would look into intestinal prolapse. Most people do not know (like myself) what "it" is until they see it then its not mistakable after that.

Thanks for the help! I just wanted to double check.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:

Hey! That photo was NOT supposed to end up on TFO! It was in my personal file!
(Sorry, had to do it! LoL)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah yeah, totally normal, but I wanna see pics of that enclosure!!! The river? Come on show us. Please...

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Livingstone said:
This is what flashing looks like.

Same stance and everything.

Tom said:
Yeah yeah, totally normal, but I wanna see pics of that enclosure!!! The river? Come on show us. Please...

Well its more like a 20ft long stream (1-2 ft wide) but I call it "the river". Excellent bio-filtration though! I had to run a divider through it :(, kinda made me sad as the pen was so open and spacious, but the divider only consists of a few logs (1ft high) so its not a complete barrier, as far as human access goes.

I haven't been very active in forums (in general) but I might as well show the enclosure off. Its still in the works, but most of it is done. I still need to obtain some mulch, and do some top soil work. They also have access to a small door that leads inside. I may start a thread tomorrow with pics.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
well that's not what I've seen

mine was also not standing up on its two front feet

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id also be sure your divider fence between him and your redfoots.. is secure...

Sandra.. if they do this in the water.. it wont look like that stance... sometimes it just protrudes a bit, not a true prolapse.. and goes back in..

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Laura said:
Id also be sure your divider fence between him and your redfoots.. is secure...

Sandra.. if they do this in the water.. it wont look like that stance... sometimes it just protrudes a bit, not a true prolapse.. and goes back in..

Yes, I have since improved the barrier as I had to watch his behavior before I really knew how it needed to be since its more natural looking. A sturdy fence would have been a more "trusting" way to go, but I would have lost some function in the enclosure. He dosen't see them anymore lol. Finally got some cypress mulch today! I am in Texas, and even though my sulcata dosen't mind the dry clay/dust mix, my redfoots do not appreciate it.

Also, Tom, I saw your post about a secure burrow, and really gave me some ideas! My sulcata started a hole a few weeks ago. He didnt get very far thanks to me, and I do not trust him now. I have a barrier under the fence, but I am not sure how deep he will actually go. I am going to try and make one out of an old, plastic dog house burried completely. He has had one in the past, and really enjoyed it, but now he no longer has access to the indoor-part of the pen ( redfoot exclusive) so I have to give him something else.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Laura,it was out the water not in the water.
I just made a little burrow with a large flower pot...mine stoped digging her burrow...and loves mine

Status
Not open for further replies.