Males mating

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It's just a dominance thing ya? My adult males are not violent with each other but regularly attempt to mate. Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Males will try to mate with anything successful or not. It is also a dominance issue as well. The males receiving this are being terrorized by the others. It is not natural or nice to thr tortoises.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
It would most likely be a good idea to separate these two males. The one being dominated will most likely suffer greatly while being terrorized by the aggressor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen my confirmed male try to push and ram my unconfirmed female, who I am think is male, do to,the ramming they do to each other. It's nothing that would hurt them, not so hard that they are trying to kill each other, but I don't know what they do when I'm not watching, and so, they live apart. If it turns out to be a sorry situation, it might be too late for you to save one. Be on the safe side.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
So if another dude threw you down and dry humped you, you wouldn't see that as a sign of aggression?
To make a joke;
Well, ya know, he might enjoy that in his personal life. Sometimes it's fun ;P

Joking aside;
Yeah it's a really big sign of aggression and dominance and can cause injuries. Separation is best.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Tortoise mating can be violent. The dominant one may be having a good time if it's a male mounting a female, but the female isn't. If it's male on male aggression, or female on female, they're both stressed. That's why we recommend not keeping tortoises in pairs.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Tortoise mating can be violent. The dominant one may be having a good time if it's a male mounting a female, but the female isn't. If it's male on male aggression, or female on female, they're both stressed. That's why we recommend not keeping tortoises in pairs.
From what I've seen and read, almost no female in the animal kingdom likes mating.
It's definitely a male-centered world

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He practices SAFE sex......From about 25 feet away.
this comment confuses me. is he by himself or can you reach them from 25 feet away? if the second one he's quite a tortoise even by tortoise standards. :)