Malformed baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corona
My neighbor had 5 babies hatch all are healthy except his little guy (Timmy)...Shell is deformed and back leg moves but he drags it. There is no tail and I'm not sure if he has an anus. I really hope he makes it. He has tried eating and is a feisty little guy(tries to bite if you pick him up).

bjg103.jpg

I thought you guys would want to see him....anybody ever seen anything similar?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well, if he doesnt have a anus.. he wont make it.. have you seen poop yet? How much has he eaten?
Keep us posted.. and fill us in on what is being done for him.. upkeep etc...diet/....

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
What if he is REALLY efficient? ;)

I cant tell whats going on back there...the back half of him looked squished and there is no tail, he may have an anus, Im not sure. My neighbor says he has seen him eat a little (chopped up spring mix and Romain) and drink water.

So far, so good. It will be a week tomorrow since he was born.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
I haven't seen him in a few days. I will try to get over there and take more pics soon. I need to add pics of all of them....they are too cute!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to agree if he does not have an anus, no matter how feisty he is, he won't make it, but if he does have one, he stands a chance, the other stuff is not life or death, I believe.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Haaaaaaaa.... Yes we all agree he wont live without an anus. Sorry for the confusion.

I just wanted to show everyone what he looked like and see if anyone else has had a "special" baby like him.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Oh my. :(
I have seen my share of handicapped Lizards and Tortoises and I must say that this is the worst natural case I've seen. I have never seen a shell (unless it was from MBD or an accident) look like this before from natural birth. I'm hoping he pulls through and lives a long Torti life. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Kendra*

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Sorry these pics are so bad... all I had when I went over was my camera phone. The good news is my neighbor is giving me the babies. I keep telling him what hes doing wrong (tactfully) and he says they are too much work for him. I will get them tomorrow hopefully!

Also Timmy is doing well, it appears he does have an anus, just no tail.

v75tsg.jpg

6qa055.jpg

He still has two eggs that have not hatched (they have torts in them)...its been 10 days since these all hatched. Hopefully they will eventually come out.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Good luck and long life to little Timmy! With some help, there is no reason he can't live a quality life.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That is very good news, and gives Timmy a decent chance of overcoming the other deformities.

I am rooting for him! Where there's life, there's hope.

Please keep us posted of his progress over the next few months--are you adopting him so he will get the special care he needs?

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
I think so too....he is by far the most feisty. If any of the other torts touch him he lunges and looks to bite. He reminds me of a little snapping turtle with his mouth wide open.

Stephanie Logan said:
That is very good news, and gives Timmy a decent chance of overcoming the other deformities.

I am rooting for him! Where there's life, there's hope.

Please keep us posted of his progress over the next few months--are you adopting him so he will get the special care he needs?

I am adopting all of them! I'm soooooo excited. I will do my best with them. Going out today to get some supplies.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
I just got a call...the last two are hatching! Im going to have 7 babies soon!

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Yay babies! And...YAY TIMMY! I'm cheering them on. :D Good luck with all of them.
P.s. Are they russians?
Best of luck!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
congrats!!! i will be driving to temucula this weekend, its down the 15, so I will pass by you. I would love to come see them.

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
spike... I would be glad to show you next time you are in the area...unfortunately we will be in pismo beach this weekend. My sister will have to baby sit them for me....assuming I can get them tonight. Let me know next time you are driving by Corona.

movealongmosey... They are CA Desert Torts.

JM....Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.