Mallow for sulcata?

Celiagg

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,
Is this mallow by any chance? I’m having a hard time figuring out what I have around my yard. I want to make sure the weeds/grasses I have are safe. I read alfalfa is safe but I don’t know which seeds to buy as there are different kinds from what I’ve read.
Thanks

Attachments

• 704D7047-3D2C-4375-B4B5-0038012B04AD.jpeg
    704D7047-3D2C-4375-B4B5-0038012B04AD.jpeg
    718.7 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
Is this mallow by any chance? I’m having a hard time figuring out what I have around my yard. I want to make sure the weeds/grasses I have are safe. I read alfalfa is safe but I don’t know which seeds to buy as there are different kinds from what I’ve read.
Thanks
Yes, that is mallow and it is excellent tortoise food. The other one in the middle of the picture is good too, though they don't tend to like it as much. I just mix that one in for bulk with other greens like the mallow.

All the wild grasses are sprouting up right now too with all this rain. Take advantage of that by grabbing a handful, cutting it off with scissors, and then chop it into fine pieces that are around 1/2 to 1 inch in length and lix it in with other foods.

Celiagg

Southern California
Awesome! I have a ton in the backyard..
Yes, that is mallow and it is excellent tortoise food. The other one in the middle of the picture is good too, though they don't tend to like it as much. I just mix that one in for bulk with other greens like the mallow.

All the wild grasses are sprouting up right now too with all this rain. Take advantage of that by grabbing a handful, cutting it off with scissors, and then chop it into fine pieces that are around 1/2 to 1 inch in length and lix it in with other foods.
Yes. This is one of my tortoise's favorites!

Thank you Tom! I have been doing lots of research if what I have around the house and what seeds to buy to grow so I don’t have to use market items unless it’s is totally necessary. My Sheldon is now 144 grams which I’m not sure how much that is in ounces or pounds but he’s estimated to be maybe 4-5 months. He’s very healthy and happy

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Awesome! I have a ton in the backyard..

Thank you Tom! I have been doing lots of research if what I have around the house and what seeds to buy to grow so I don’t have to use market items unless it’s is totally necessary. My Sheldon is now 144 grams which I’m not sure how much that is in ounces or pounds but he’s estimated to be maybe 4-5 months. He’s very healthy and happy

144 grams is just a bit over 5 ounces.