Hard time figuring out what substrate to use for Sulcata encloser

Tskufner24!

Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
I’m getting a new encloser for my two Sulcata tortoise babies and I’m having a hard time figuring out what to use. I’m reading different things about doing having a humid and dry spot so I’m not sure if I should get the Reptieaeth Fine Coconut Fiber Substrate for one side and Microchip Fine Coconut Substrate for the other? Or mix them or just the fine coconut sub. throughout.
We currently have been mixing shaved aspen mixed with the forest floor cypress mulch. But I need something better for humidity and I heard it helps with the smell as well.
Not sure if anyone has advice but that would be great!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First be sure you house your two Sulcatas separately, tortoises should not be kept in pairs, ever
Second, the best substrate in my opinion, is coconut coir on the bottom and fine grad orchid/fir bark on top. Both these work great for holding humidity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m getting a new encloser for my two Sulcata tortoise babies and I’m having a hard time figuring out what to use. I’m reading different things about doing having a humid and dry spot so I’m not sure if I should get the Reptieaeth Fine Coconut Fiber Substrate for one side and Microchip Fine Coconut Substrate for the other? Or mix them or just the fine coconut sub. throughout.
We currently have been mixing shaved aspen mixed with the forest floor cypress mulch. But I need something better for humidity and I heard it helps with the smell as well.
Not sure if anyone has advice but that would be great!!
Stop reading or watching elsewhere on the internet, or you are going to end up with the wrong stuff and terrible advice. Stay out of the pet store too.

Read these threads. Read them twice:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agreed with the above.
There will be NO NEED to ever return to any pet shop for any reason.
They almost never sell what you're going to actually need going forward. And they just about never know what they're talking about.