many lines in my turtles shell

Pearl Patil

Location (City and/or State)
gujrat
hey again, I have a softshell turtle. I have noticed that on y turtle's back there r many lines forming and the top of her shell is of a different colour than the ends of her shell. here r some pictures for clarity. her skin also looks weirs please helpIMG_20220105_125258.jpgIMG_20220105_125258.jpgIMG_20220105_125301.jpgIMG_20220105_125301.jpgIMG_20220105_125306.jpgIMG_20220105_125306.jpg

Pearl Patil

gujrat
hey again, I have a softshell turtle. I have noticed that on y turtle's back there r many lines forming and the top of her shell is of a different colour than the ends of her shell. here r some pictures for clarity. her skin also looks weird and also her skin is super soft than usual, she doesn't like water so I keep her out f water most of the time, her skin starts to wrinkle with the while lines. this time I kept her in water for 5 days n this happen please helpIMG_20220105_125301.jpgIMG_20220105_125258.jpgIMG_20220105_125306.jpgIMG_20220105_125234.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
does the turtle have a place to get out of the water and bask under a uvb light ? an easy to get on rock or log in the middle of a river are what they usually use around here .

Pearl Patil

gujrat
does the turtle have a place to get out of the water and bask under a uvb light ? an easy to get on rock or log in the middle of a river are what they usually use around here .
i just put her in a tub in my bathroom and what is uvb light

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're seeing lines on your turtle's shell because he needs to live in water. . . all the time! Set him up in something large enough that he has plenty of room to swim, and there needs to be a place where he can climb out of the water to sit under the light when he wants to.

1641400868184.png

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I agree with the above statements. Soft shells rarely come out of water. They do bask, just not as frequently as other turtles, and the females come on land to lay eggs. Turtles need uv rays to warm there blood and for good bone growth, in simpler terms. Uvb bulbs mimic the sun in a way. Look up uvb lighting for reptiles on Amazon. She'll also need a water tank heater, like you see in fish tanks, and a basking bulb, which could be a regular light bulb or flood light bulb. You also need a filter(aquatic plants can filter the water as well such as water hyacinth)and some sort of structure for it to climb on to bask. like how you see turtles on logs when you pass a lake or something. Softshells have to be in water 24/7 to keep that leathery skin hydrated. I don't know if you have a tank or not, but if you can't get one right now, try the huge plastic tots at target. They're fairly cheap. You could throw some rinsed play sand in there, hang your lights above, a few aquatic plants and tank heater and boom pow, you're in business.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i grew up on a river with eastern spiney softshells , catching them ...... to think they don't bask on a regular basis is just plain wrong , it's how we knew were they were ..... ........ i'm not talking about captive animals , i'm talking wild turtles .......

this is absolutely my experience

INHS-header.gif

https://www.inhs.illinois.edu/outreach/spotlight/spiny-softshell-turtle/
Spiny softshell turtles spend a lot of time basking on rocks, logs, or sandbanks. While basking they usually turn to face the water, ready to make a rapid escape. These turtles are impossible to stalk and once alarmed they are difficult to overtake.

A Basking Behavior Study of the Eastern Spiny Softshell Turtle

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/sgcnespinysoftshell.pdf
This species is highly aquatic, basking on the surface of the water or on aerial perches provided by logs, rocks, or other structures that provide good solar exposure and little disturbance. Wetlands associated with large water bodies are used in the spring for basking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i grew up on a river with eastern spiney softshells , catching them ...... to think they don't bask on a regular basis is just plain wrong , it's how we knew were they were ..... ........ i'm not talking about captive animals , i'm talking wild turtles .......

this is absolutely my experience

INHS-header.gif

https://www.inhs.illinois.edu/outreach/spotlight/spiny-softshell-turtle/
Spiny softshell turtles spend a lot of time basking on rocks, logs, or sandbanks. While basking they usually turn to face the water, ready to make a rapid escape. These turtles are impossible to stalk and once alarmed they are difficult to overtake.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/sgcnespinysoftshell.pdf
This species is highly aquatic, basking on the surface of the water or on aerial perches provided by logs, rocks, or other structures that provide good solar exposure and little disturbance. Wetlands associated with large water bodies are used in the spring for basking.

I agree. I have Floridas and they are on the bank in the sun almost every single time I walk by the pond. I don't know if the same holds true for the OP's India soft shell though.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
common sight from where i'm from .......

43129364592_9c94235090.jpg

spiny-softshell-turtle-basking-sun-rock-little-canada-minnesota-gervais-mill-park-apalone-spinifera-199985236.jpg

i been catching stuff out this river for 57yrs ..........just about every species of turtle that ever lived in ohio lived in this river ........

DSCF8317.jpg

DSCF8325.jpg

DSCF8323.jpg

DSCF8314.jpg

DSCF8329.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I agree. I have Floridas and they are on the bank in the sun almost every single time I walk by the pond. I don't know if the same holds true for the OP's India soft shell though.
i have to think if you google nilssonia gangetica every picture you'll see is a turtle basking .....

4872.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There is a big difference between basking and keeping a turtle out of the water on dry land. I'll bet from what I see of that turtle, it has been kept out of the water. All this talk about how much they bask is not helping the poster realize they need to live in water. The shell of that turtle is desiccating.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
There is a big difference between basking and keeping a turtle out of the water on dry land. I'll bet from what I see of that turtle, it has been kept out of the water. All this talk about how much they bask is not helping the poster realize they need to live in water. The shell of that turtle is desiccating.
not sure how you know that ? if that is the case , and they just now put it in the tub , due to my post about if it had a basking area , then it certainly appears the "all the basking talk" helped ...... i'd bet ......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i have to think if you google nilssonia gangetica every picture you'll see is a turtle basking .....

4872.jpg
The turtle on the other side of the softshell has a fish hook in his mouth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The 'lines' as they call it is actually a shriveled shell of a turtle being kept out of water.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
The 'lines' as they call it is actually a shriveled shell of a turtle being kept out of water.
could be ?

My fly rivers shell is getting wrinkly, is this normal? If not how should I treat him?

7m3bp5qzzr641.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
not sure how you know that ? if that is the case , and they just now put it in the tub , due to my post about if it had a basking area , then it certainly appears the "all the basking talk" helped ...... i'd bet ......
I've seen that with softshells before. Experience.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
could be , i never dessicated a turtle .........

english-pig-snouted-river-carettochelys-insculpta-aquarium-z.jpg

Softshell-Turtle-2-650x425.jpg

Pearl Patil

gujrat
I agree with the above statements. Soft shells rarely come out of water. They do bask, just not as frequently as other turtles, and the females come on land to lay eggs. Turtles need uv rays to warm there blood and for good bone growth, in simpler terms. Uvb bulbs mimic the sun in a way. Look up uvb lighting for reptiles on Amazon. She'll also need a water tank heater, like you see in fish tanks, and a basking bulb, which could be a regular light bulb or flood light bulb. You also need a filter(aquatic plants can filter the water as well such as water hyacinth)and some sort of structure for it to climb on to bask. like how you see turtles on logs when you pass a lake or something. Softshells have to be in water 24/7 to keep that leathery skin hydrated. I don't know if you have a tank or not, but if you can't get one right now, try the huge plastic tots at target. They're fairly cheap. You could throw some rinsed play sand in there, hang your lights above, a few aquatic plants and tank heater and boom pow, you're in business.
can u send me some links to this product which r the cheapest and safe to use, because I kinda not afford it. and I will just get a plastic tot.

Last edited: