many lines in my turtles shell

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I think you are going to need something bigger than a plastic tote. That turtle gets as big as a bicycle tire!
How long have you had it for? Did you buy it or find it?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
can u send me some links to this product which r the cheapest and safe to use, because I kinda not afford it. and I will just get a plastic tot.
Sure.

Hope this helps until you can afford something better

Pearl Patil

gujrat
I agree with the above statements. Soft shells rarely come out of water. They do bask, just not as frequently as other turtles, and the females come on land to lay eggs. Turtles need uv rays to warm there blood and for good bone growth, in simpler terms. Uvb bulbs mimic the sun in a way. Look up uvb lighting for reptiles on Amazon. She'll also need a water tank heater, like you see in fish tanks, and a basking bulb, which could be a regular light bulb or flood light bulb. You also need a filter(aquatic plants can filter the water as well such as water hyacinth)and some sort of structure for it to climb on to bask. like how you see turtles on logs when you pass a lake or something. Softshells have to be in water 24/7 to keep that leathery skin hydrated. I don't know if you have a tank or not, but if you can't get one right now, try the huge plastic tots at target. They're fairly cheap. You could throw some rinsed play sand in there, hang your lights above, a few aquatic plants and tank heater and boom pow, you're in business.
what is the need for a water heater and is it necessary. bout the light, should I put UVB light or normal bulb and should I put a filter or aquatic plants

Pearl Patil

gujrat
I think you are going to need something bigger than a plastic tote. That turtle gets as big as a bicycle tire!
How long have you had it for? Did you buy it or find it?
my softshell turtles r recuses,i found them and I had this one for 2 years and other one half a month

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
what is the need for a water heater and is it necessary. bout the light, should I put UVB light or normal bulb and should I put a filter or aquatic plants
The heated water helps with digestion. You should use both lights, and the plants aren't 100% necessary so long as you have a good filter. I know it seems like a lot, but try not to stress too much

Pearl Patil

gujrat
Sure.

Hope this helps until you can afford something better
where i live, there is nothing like eBay. i buy from amazon

Pearl Patil

gujrat
The heated water helps with digestion. You should use both lights, and the plants aren't 100% necessary so long as you have a good filter. I know it seems like a lot, but try not to stress too much
how can I not stress? idk if my parents r gonna buy it

Pearl Patil

gujrat
1 more doubt ........ should i keep both my softshell together .imscared to put together because the other turtle is wild

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
1 more doubt ........ should i keep both my softshell together .imscared to put together because the other turtle is wild
There's potential that the wild caught turtle may have something, but if the other is in a proper set up, and there isn't a too drastic size difference, you could take a chance for now. Just run it by your parents. Everything will work out?

Pearl Patil

gujrat
There's potential that the wild caught turtle may have something, but if the other is in a proper set up, and there isn't a too drastic size difference, you could take a chance for now. Just run it by your parents. Everything will work out?
the wild turtle is double the size of this turtle which i uploaded the pic of

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
the wild turtle is double the size of this turtle which i uploaded the pic of
You should probably avoid doing so because they can be spicy towards one another. Just get them in something that holds water for the time being

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
what should i give her to eat and I still don't know her gender
Well. One thing to know is that they are carnivores and eat a varied diet. Your from India ( I think) so I'm assuming these are Indian soft shells. Soft shells will essentially eat anything in the water that will fit in their mouth. Crayfish, shrimp, bug larvae in the water, such as dragon fly larvae, fish occasionally, tadpoles and they'll also eat commercial pellets like mazuri aquatic turtle diet. They'll even eat small rats and snakes.As far as sexing them females get massive, as do males, but not as big as females. Females will have a short tail, with their anal vent close to the bottom of the shell. While a males tail is long and further away.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
what should i give her to eat and I still don't know her gender
Aldo, What time of year is it in Gujarat? As far as the season. If you get some help, you could potentially build a pond for these guys they can stay in year round. You wouldn't have to worry about lighting or special heating since they are native species, but aquatic plants and filtration are a must.There are tons of videos on YouTube about how to build them along with a fenced in enclosure.

Pearl Patil

gujrat
well.... the lines have started to disappear .... i didnt do anything...i just changed her diet to turtle food given in the shops ...... but i am thinking of putting her in the pond which was her home earlier cause i dont wanna be the reason too anything happening to her