Many will disagree, but hear me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggy davis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey guys, I recently got a tortoise as many know and apparently I don’t have all of the right supplies. I have already been lectured on everything, so I don’t need any more please. I just wanted everybody to know what I am doing. I am getting a 40 gallon fish tank for my baby sulcata tortoise to live in. Many people think that is too small, but that is what I am doing. This is a giant upgrade from the last cage and I am doing it because of all of the helpful people who have said my cage is too small. My tortoise spends most of the day roaming my back yard anyways, with me keeping an eye on it. I also have a UV lamp, that is not the wattage some people say is right. Some people also say that if your tortoise stays outside there is no use for a UV light. Because of this I am going to continue to take my tortoise outside daily, and use my UV light for 8-10 hours a day. I am getting a humidifier for my tortoise, and a humidity meter. A lot of people say that the humidity won’t stay in an aquarium, but I have had luck in the past. I feed my tortoise Iceberg lettuce, Roman lettuce, carrot, apple, and aloe. I also add calcium every other day. My tortoise usually eats normal grass when grazing outside, clover, dandelion, and more. Even though I offer all of the food in its bowl, it will only eat the lettuce. This is ok though because it eats a lot of variety’s outside. I soak my tortoise for 15 minutes every day, at about 80 degrees. It had a hide out which will need to be updated i about a month, because it is a little smaller than I had hoped. I am telling everybody all of this not to get feedback or for anybody to judge. I just wanted everybody to know what I am doing, whether is is wrong or right. In the future, I will update everything, and in 2 years it will live in my backyard. I am sorry if you have a problem with this, but this is how I will do it.
Don't let others dictate how you house and care for your tortoise. You obviously followed the advice of many well meaning members, and you're little guy will be happy and healthy if you continue caring for him. I too have changed many things I was told to do, mostly because of location and food availability. My Sulcata is just fine, even though I sneak him fruit more often than I should. I figure, if I'm going to live to be 100, I definately would like to go out with a belly full of my favorite stuff, even if I checked out a little early. Sulcata's love to eat lots of things and that's a major part of their happiness (in my opinion). Every member who chews you out is doing it out of love for the torts, just keep that as your mantra........ohmmmmmm

GreekPip

Fareham Hampshire
Hey guys, I recently got a tortoise as many know and apparently I don’t have all of the right supplies. I have already been lectured on everything, so I don’t need any more please. I just wanted everybody to know what I am doing. I am getting a 40 gallon fish tank for my baby sulcata tortoise to live in. Many people think that is too small, but that is what I am doing. This is a giant upgrade from the last cage and I am doing it because of all of the helpful people who have said my cage is too small. My tortoise spends most of the day roaming my back yard anyways, with me keeping an eye on it. I also have a UV lamp, that is not the wattage some people say is right. Some people also say that if your tortoise stays outside there is no use for a UV light. Because of this I am going to continue to take my tortoise outside daily, and use my UV light for 8-10 hours a day. I am getting a humidifier for my tortoise, and a humidity meter. A lot of people say that the humidity won’t stay in an aquarium, but I have had luck in the past. I feed my tortoise Iceberg lettuce, Roman lettuce, carrot, apple, and aloe. I also add calcium every other day. My tortoise usually eats normal grass when grazing outside, clover, dandelion, and more. Even though I offer all of the food in its bowl, it will only eat the lettuce. This is ok though because it eats a lot of variety’s outside. I soak my tortoise for 15 minutes every day, at about 80 degrees. It had a hide out which will need to be updated i about a month, because it is a little smaller than I had hoped. I am telling everybody all of this not to get feedback or for anybody to judge. I just wanted everybody to know what I am doing, whether is is wrong or right. In the future, I will update everything, and in 2 years it will live in my backyard. I am sorry if you have a problem with this, but this is how I will do it.
You go for it....I have had the same 'advice' some is helpful some not. However, I go with my tortoises.. what they want they do ...they have an indoor covered tray and spend most time out in the garden pen ...they eat all sorts of greens, some they forage for some I give them...they don't care they eat it all...so long as it is on the safe list they get offered it. They sleep some of the winter in their indoor pen and when they are awake I put the lamp on and they eat. We are happy and in our rhythm now...I have had them 5 years since they hatched and so far no problems. So just enjoy ...they are fascinating creatures and not nearly as critical as hoomans!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You go for it....I have had the same 'advice' some is helpful some not. However, I go with my tortoises.. what they want they do ...they have an indoor covered tray and spend most time out in the garden pen ...they eat all sorts of greens, some they forage for some I give them...they don't care they eat it all...so long as it is on the safe list they get offered it. They sleep some of the winter in their indoor pen and when they are awake I put the lamp on and they eat. We are happy and in our rhythm now...I have had them 5 years since they hatched and so far no problems. So just enjoy ...they are fascinating creatures and not nearly as critical as hoomans!!
Good luck to your tortoises. They won't thrive and will be lucky to live their life span. Both of you along with Peggy davis are not doing their best and if you can't do your best then you probably shouldn't have the animal.
The correct info is all right here on this forum. Just need to spend some time to search it and apply it. Doing further research into whoever wrote the info would explain they know their stuff because they have been doing it for years, much longer then any of you, and they have proper of what they say and know!
To purposely do what you know is bad for them, specially over doing it, is animal abuse!!!

peggy davis

5 Year Member
Arizona
Good luck to your tortoises. They won't thrive and will be lucky to live their life span. Both of you along with Peggy davis are not doing their best and if you can't do your best then you probably shouldn't have the animal.
The correct info is all right here on this forum. Just need to spend some time to search it and apply it. Doing further research into whoever wrote the info would explain they know their stuff because they have been doing it for years, much longer then any of you, and they have proper of what they say and know!
To purposely do what you know is bad for them, specially over doing it, is animal abuse!!!
First, I would like to thank you for calling me an "abuser" and especially using my full name to do it. And from a moderator.
Second, i was replying to a young teenager (I'm assuming). He was being overwhelmed with everyone who had something negative to say to him about something he honestly was passionate about.
Third, you, being a moderator know for a fact that not all advice given is correct. When I started looking for Sulcata Care instructions, I was told some really strange things, such as "Feed them only once a week" and "They really don't need water because they "hold it" for a long time. And I think I was clear that the advice he was given was good, expert advice from knowledgeable members of this community.
Unfortunately, this is one of the negative aspects of specialty sites like this. You have good people who are so passionate about these beautiful creatures that anything done which goes against their beliefs and knowledge amounts to "abuse". Telling someone they don't deserve to have their chosen pet and calling them an abuser, especially a young person who is trying his hardest to learn and he was apologetic is just plain mean.
One last thought...my Mother was a great Mother to me and my brothers, but she let us eat junk food at McDonalds and even looked the other way a few times when I did something wrong so Dad wouldn't find out.
It's a darned good thing there was no internet where she could be called abusive or told she shouldn't be allowed to have children and that they are not going to "thrive', by people who's opinions are so perfect that they are above reproach. She would have probably gave up on trying at all. Think about what you are doing to people. And if you're so right, why don't you use YOUR full name instead of a fake one where you can pretty much say anything and get away with it without anyone knowing who you are? The internet spawns a lot of very strong and vocal opinions, hiding behind anonymity. I likely won't be back here now since i'm now an abuser. I'm sure you'll be all broken up about that. I also know for a fact that many people agree with how i've chosen to raise my sulcata, they just don't want to hear how horrible they are by people such as yourself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not taking sides, but wanted to clarify the name thing. The only name we know our posters by is the name shown on their post, the username each member chose for themselves. In your case Peggy Davis. When we reply to a specific post we show @ in front of the member's chosen username so every one realizes the response is for a certain post. If you don't want us to use your full name, tell me what to change it to. I'm happy to do that for you.

And Wellington actually shows her real name, Barb, in her signature.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Rooseveltthetortoise
Have you and your mother had any luck looking for your tortoise? I hope so, but since you haven't said anything lately, I figured I would ask.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. Just keep looking around the yard and maybe it will pay off soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
@Rooseveltthetortoise
Have you and your mother had any luck looking for your tortoise? I hope so, but since you haven't said anything lately, I figured I would ask.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. Just keep looking around the yard and maybe it will pay off soon.
Amen 🙏

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, I would like to thank you for calling me an "abuser" and especially using my full name to do it. And from a moderator.
Second, i was replying to a young teenager (I'm assuming). He was being overwhelmed with everyone who had something negative to say to him about something he honestly was passionate about.
Third, you, being a moderator know for a fact that not all advice given is correct. When I started looking for Sulcata Care instructions, I was told some really strange things, such as "Feed them only once a week" and "They really don't need water because they "hold it" for a long time. And I think I was clear that the advice he was given was good, expert advice from knowledgeable members of this community.
Unfortunately, this is one of the negative aspects of specialty sites like this. You have good people who are so passionate about these beautiful creatures that anything done which goes against their beliefs and knowledge amounts to "abuse". Telling someone they don't deserve to have their chosen pet and calling them an abuser, especially a young person who is trying his hardest to learn and he was apologetic is just plain mean.
One last thought...my Mother was a great Mother to me and my brothers, but she let us eat junk food at McDonalds and even looked the other way a few times when I did something wrong so Dad wouldn't find out.
It's a darned good thing there was no internet where she could be called abusive or told she shouldn't be allowed to have children and that they are not going to "thrive', by people who's opinions are so perfect that they are above reproach. She would have probably gave up on trying at all. Think about what you are doing to people. And if you're so right, why don't you use YOUR full name instead of a fake one where you can pretty much say anything and get away with it without anyone knowing who you are? The internet spawns a lot of very strong and vocal opinions, hiding behind anonymity. I likely won't be back here now since i'm now an abuser. I'm sure you'll be all broken up about that. I also know for a fact that many people agree with how i've chosen to raise my sulcata, they just don't want to hear how horrible they are by people such as yourself.
Ridiculous to compare you as a child and a tortoise. Also, ridiculous to compare junk food for you to food for a tortoise that screws up their gut!
I said nothing that was not the truth!
As for your full name, that's the name you use on the forum, duh!
As a moderator, that doesn't make me not have my own opinion of take away my right to voice it, just like you!
Don't like what you doing cuz what it appears as then change it
As for the Op, they admitted themselves they were being a little, I'll call it, difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.