Marbocyl

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Anyone used marbocyl 1% antibiotic with their torts?
Lola's white blood cell count is very low and he was supposed to have a scan today to see if there was any visible reason but the vet couldn't get his legs out even after he had been sedated twice (the tort not the vet). He has no parasites, and an xray didn't show any stones or blockages, I wonder if it's hexamitiasis but trying to get a urine sample is nigh on impossible - I've been trying all week.
I don't like giving antibiotics without knowing why, but my only other option was to do nothing and wait another week to try to scan again or have a ct scan but she said his legs would still need to be out. He was injected today and I am supposed to give the 0.9 ml of the meds orally every other day. I am just going to google it to find out more about it. This has been prescribed by an exotic animal vet who has experience with reptiles.
Any opinions gratefully received.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it's like baytril , I believe it's marbofloxacin ? big gun antibiotics , I've seen it recommended before , by extremely competent vets , as a better alternative to baytril for mycoplasma infections in tortoises , I was told the injection site reaction was much less ............. I doubt allergies are common , but if there is an allergy to baytril , I can't imagine there wouldn't be an allergy to marbofloxacin ......

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
it's like baytril , I believe it's marbofloxacin ? big gun antibiotics , I've seen it recommended before , by extremely competent vets , as a better alternative to baytril for mycoplasma infections in tortoises , I was told the injection site reaction was much less ............. I doubt allergies are common , but if there is an allergy to baytril , I can't imagine there wouldn't be an allergy to marbofloxacin ......
Thanks Mark.
She mentioned Baytril and I told her I'd heard from other keepers that some Leopards could have an allergic reaction to that and she said it could cause anorexia but not allergic reactions. I am going to try to give the meds orally as I'm not confident enough to inject.
My sister who was a nurse, said that infections usually raise the white blood cell count not lower it. So I don't know what to think. I'm just frustrated not to be getting as big a picture as possible.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I do agree with your sister on an elevated wbc , but I believe long term persistent or overwhelming infections can cause a low white blood cell count ....... exposed to any toxic chemicals ? has the tortoise been wormed recently ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No to both.
The faecal tests he's had done have always shown no parasites or worms and there are no chemicals/toxins anywhere near him. Since I've had him I have always used a steam cleaner in and near his indoor enclosure and don't use weed killer or pesticides in the garden having said that I can't guarantee that my neighbours haven't, but until recently there was a 6 foot fence in between us. I am always really careful where I pick his weeds and they are all thoroughly washed and soaked before before feeding.
He is more subdued than usual today.