sick tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jue

5 Year Member
hi guys im a newbee looking for some help.....i rehomed a female horsefield 2 weeks ago .....she was quiet for a few days and then.... has been very active and eating well ......she started with a runny nose so took her to vet and he pescribed marbocyl to be adminstered oraly ....finished the course yesterday and she is already sneezing again but she is still eating very well i will be back at the vet tomor but any other ideas and help would be great..... i have upped the heat for her and bathing her daily for at least 20mins ....just need some advice
oh i noticed today she is puffy around the eyes..
i have got other horsefields 2 which ive had for 6 years they are 7 now with no health issues .......:(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Did your vet explain to you why they are giving antibiotic injections? Bubbles alone do not equal a need for injections.....you said the first few days she was quiet...but that is normal...then you say she is eating well and active? I would ask the vet why the antibiotics without any testing done?

I would first call your vet and ask for an explanation....I would increase her heat to minimum of 80 degrees day and night and leave a basking spot for her in addition...and I would do this for a couple of weeks and see what her bubbles do.... :D I would also make sure to offer daily soaks or daily food offerings that include high water content foods to assure she stays hydrated during the increased heat therapy.....:D

...the reason I ask about why the antibiotic injections is due to antibiotics can be hard on a tortoise kidneys and so if there is not a diagnosis for some illness warranting antibiotics I would be concerned about giving antibiotics just to give them....the daily soaks are especially important if the injections are being given...as they will help the kidneys with flushing opportunities....:D

jue

5 Year Member
hi .....he gave her the antibiotics as he though she had a rns and they are adminstered oraly .....i do this when she is eating ....she dosent like the soaks but i do leave her in there for at least 20 mins .....i took her on as she was kept in a viv and i couldnt leave her there she is very active but dosent seem to drink when in her soak she has water in her table top box......cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.