Marginated tortoise growth

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
Hi everyone, just wondering if my marginated tortoise who is 18 month old is a reasonable weight of 185g. It seems to be happy but see so many random weight charts, I'm not sure which ones to follow TIA guys

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
They all grow at different rates, so a healthy weight for your tortoise may be different than someone else's. 185g sounds good to me for an 18 month old. My nearly 10 month old Marginated just hit 100g.

One thing I've been using is the Donaghue ratio, but I'm not sure how useful it is for Marginateds. It's meant to tell you roughly how much your tortoise should weigh based on its straight carapace length (SCL). It's expressed as SCL^3 × 0.191.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
They all grow at different rates, so a healthy weight for your tortoise may be different than someone else's. 185g sounds good to me for an 18 month old. My nearly 10 month old Marginated just hit 100g.

One thing I've been using is the Donaghue ratio, but I'm not sure how useful it is for Marginateds. It's meant to tell you roughly how much your tortoise should weigh based on its straight carapace length (SCL). It's expressed as SCL^3 × 0.191.
Thankyou, really appreciate your advice

Posiewosie1

Dorset
Is my young marginated tortoise pyramiding. Age 11 months. Underside of belly is a bit like a plastic lid so I think that's correct. Any advice is helpful.

Attachments

• 20230711_111522.jpg
    20230711_111522.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
It's hard for me to tell from the picture. It could have some slight pyramiding but the new growth is smooth. Could you take a picture on the level of the tortoise, not from above? Also, a picture from the front could help.

At that size, soaking every day for 30 minutes, keeping the enclosure humid (~60%+ around the basking lamp, rising to high 80s to 90s at night), and having a humid hide available will help with smooth growth.

Are there two tortoises being housed together, or is that a reflection? It's best to keep them separately because there will always be one that's dominant and it puts stress on them both.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is my young marginated tortoise pyramiding. Age 11 months. Underside of belly is a bit like a plastic lid so I think that's correct. Any advice is helpful.
Yes, it is pyramiding. You will need to provide a more humid environment in a closed chamber to stop the process.

Posiewosie1

Dorset
It's hard for me to tell from the picture. It could have some slight pyramiding but the new growth is smooth. Could you take a picture on the level of the tortoise, not from above? Also, a picture from the front could help.

At that size, soaking every day for 30 minutes, keeping the enclosure humid (~60%+ around the basking lamp, rising to high 80s to 90s at night), and having a humid hide available will help with smooth growth.

Are there two tortoises being housed together, or is that a reflection? It's best to keep them separately because there will always be one that's dominant and it puts stress on them both.
Thanks so much for the reply. I am seperating them tomorrow just waiting on supplies as I only found out today that it would be stressful for them together
I will attach photos of them now. I have only had them for month so feel really concerned that they may have started to pyramid. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230714_110152.jpg
    20230714_110152.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230714_110201.jpg
    20230714_110201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230714_110209.jpg
    20230714_110209.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks so much for the reply. I am seperating them tomorrow just waiting on supplies as I only found out today that it would be stressful for them together
I will attach photos of them now. I have only had them for month so feel really concerned that they may have started to pyramid. Thanks.
They are beginning to pyramid, but if you correct their environment so that they have the proper humidity and lighting, etc., you can keep it from continuing to occur.

Posiewosie1

Dorset
They are beginning to pyramid, but if you correct their environment so that they have the proper humidity and lighting, etc., you can keep it from continuing to occur.
Not sure if you seen the new pictures can you have a little look at them as been told that the pyramiding isn't too bad on them. I have an arcadia bulb but been advised to change that and will look at making both enclosures so they can be similar to a closed chamber. Thanks.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Not sure if you seen the new pictures can you have a little look at them as been told that the pyramiding isn't too bad on them. I have an arcadia bulb but been advised to change that and will look at making both enclosures so they can be similar to a closed chamber. Thanks.
Yes, I saw the pictures. The pyramiding is minimal so far, which is good.

Making their environment(s) more humid will keep their future growth from being pyramided. If you make the proper corrections now, over time the pyramiding they have now should become less and less noticeable.