Market name of calcium powder needed

Saba80

Hi friends,my name is saba and want to know the market name for calcium powder.I want it for my star tort.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Saba
I've been raising torts for 16 years . I put egg shells in a coffee grinder and put the powder over their food . Sorry no brand name
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459231779.594860.jpg

Saba80

Thanks a lot you gave me such a simple idea.I had been searching since long to get the commercial name.You solved my problem.thank you sooooooo..much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There is no recommended brand name. Calcium powder is calcium powder...it's all the same. Just like milk. You can buy any brand of milk and it's all milk.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like either the Rep-Cal brand or the ZooMed stuff.

I also recommend "MinerAll" from a company called sticky tongue farms. Sometimes calcium carbonate alone is not enough and they need a more balanced mineral supplement in addition to some calcium supplementation.

Be aware that with a good diet, they only need calcium once or twice a week in most cases. Too much or too often is not good for them.

sushant777

Mumbai,Maharashtra,india
In indian,mumbai u can get shellcal500 tablet for tortoise i give my tortoise powder of shellcal 500 tablet. It is safe for tortise. And dont over dose powder to tortoise. Sprinkle two days in a week on food.All the best

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello Saba
I've been raising torts for 16 years . I put egg shells in a coffee grinder and put the powder over their food . Sorry no brand name
View attachment 168808
Just be careful as the way eggs are brought to market can vary in different areas. Egg shells, with the inner lining can carry some bacteria that would not be good to introduce to a tortoise.

The Shelcal 500 is basically oystershell (calcium carbonate) and has added D3. Seems to be a good choice as sushant777 recommends

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Just be careful as the way eggs are brought to market can vary in different areas. Egg shells, with the inner lining can carry some bacteria that would not be good to introduce to a tortoise.

The Shelcal 500 is basically oystershell (calcium carbonate) and has added D3. Seems to be a good choice as sushant777 recommends
And if you give your torts proper lighting or keep them outside they never need D3 . And cuddle bone and oysters come from the sea or salt water . My torts don't need anymore salt .

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
And if you give your torts proper lighting or keep them outside they never need D3 . And cuddle bone and oysters come from the sea or salt water . My torts don't need anymore salt .
Agree totally. Natural sunlight is the best by far

I know your saying that tongue-in-cheek, but for the original poster- there is no salt in the processed product

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Couldn't tell you the last time I added Calcium to my tortoises' diet. They get a complete diet of greens, Cactus, Mazuri, Marion Zoologic. I have done multiple radiographs on different animals and bone density is very good.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Agree totally. Natural sunlight is the best by far

I know your saying that tongue-in-cheek, but for the original poster- there is no salt in the processed product
I don't know what you mean by "tongue - in - cheek " so I can't speak about it .