Mars One

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Anyone heard of it? :D
www.mars-one.com Its a group of Dutch scientists that are legitimately trying to get him an settlement on mars. I'm doing a massive research paper on it, and its such a big topic, with so many view points, its going to be tricky. I wanted some of you guys' ideas. Basically its taking interested people from all over the globe and training them as scientists. BUT HERE'S THE CATCH. The people going to mars will be chosen BY THE PEOPLE OF EARTH. ITS GOING TO BE A REALTY TV SHOW.

Now that you have the basic idea, any opinions? Ideas? Anything is welcome :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Darn, here I thought this was going to be a candy bar thread....:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought it was too hot on Mars for a settlement.

Dr.Leila

Hi guys. Stumbled across your thread and thought I'd chime in with some information on Mars One. I'm a one of the 1058 out of 200,000 applicants selected to advance to Round 2. I'm also an Emergency Medicine doctor. I grew up in Panama and have always wanted to go to the Galapagos to see the giant tortoises.

Yes, Mars One is a real thing co-founded by Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp. He has several very impressive scientists on his advisory board including a Nobel Prize winner. They have contracted with Lockheed Martin and Surrey Satellite Technology companies to do concept designs for the lander and satellite to be launched in 2018. If all goes according to schedule, 4 humans will land on Mars in 2025.

The funding is planned to come from endorsements and advertising like the Olympic Games, so it will be more of a documentary than a reality tv show following the selection and training of the applicants over the next decade. Oh, and it's a one-way colonization trip, with follow up missions of 4 people every 2 years.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. You can find more about me and get my email address at www.motherzucker.com

PS Mars is not hot, it is cold. The average temperature is minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit with a range from -195 to +70F. Fun factoid: last week it was colder in some parts of Minnesota than it was on Mars!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Well I'm going to beat Yvonne to the welcome!
Welcome to TFO! May I suggest making an introductory thread?
That is very cool! I read that it is categorized as "reality tv" because potential inhabitants of mars will be voted off periodically.