Mature male Cherry head red footed tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelytortoise

5 Year Member
Is it likely that most mature male cherry head red footed tortoises will have a "hourglass" apprerance on the carapace? Thank you.

lovelytortoise

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
Welcome to the forum lovelytortoise from China...

Thank you dalano73. Hopefully i can learn something about tortoises from you guys on this website.

lovelytortoise

5 Year Member
11new.JPGdd.JPGback.JPGThanks all! This is my little red foot (about 7 cm in length).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to Forum!
You Came To The Right Place With Your Questions :)

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
lovelytortoise said:
Is it likely that most mature male cherry head red footed tortoises will have a "hourglass" apprerance on the carapace? Thank you.

Yes, most male red-foots will have an hour glass shape, giving them a "waist line" if viewed from above. Southern red-foots sometimes will not have that sexual dimorphic appearance.

-Matt

lovelytortoise

5 Year Member
matt41gb said:
lovelytortoise said:

Yes, most male red-foots will have an hour glass shape, giving them a "waist line" if viewed from above. Southern red-foots sometimes will not have that sexual dimorphic appearance.

-Matt

Thanks Matt. By saying Southern red-foots sometimes will not have that sexual dimorphic appearance, does it mean that cherry head red-foots won't have this kind of appearance?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
" MOST" .... I guess is the keyword ... plus you both are talking about 2 different torts. The PO asked about cherrys ... and the response was with redfoots?..... anyhow ... becareful with those so called guide lines. Here is a top shot of RF's and Cherrys "ADULTS"............. Can YOU actually tell me which ones are males ? The only obvious " peanut" one is the Hypo? ..... but I can assure you there is more than one male in the photo ......
tz12.jpg

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The 'hourglass figure' is a common trait for Red-foots from north of the Amazon River, but even then it is not always that noticeable. Sometimes, it is easier to see from the side view- a bump in front and another in back.

Red-foots from south of the Amazon, including those often called 'Cherry-heads', generally do not show any sign of the hourglass shape.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
The 'hourglass figure' is a common trait for Red-foots from north of the Amazon River, but even then it is not always that noticeable. Sometimes, it is easier to see from the side view- a bump in front and another in back.

Red-foots from south of the Amazon, including those often called 'Cherry-heads', generally do not show any sign of the hourglass shape.

YEA .... ! Mr. Madkins ... finally an intelligent answear! I was going to state the same thing ..but you know " my advice" .. always causes havoc , when your not part of " the gang" ..LOL

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
N2TORTS said:
Madkins007 said:

YEA .... ! Mr. Madkins ... finally an intelligent answear! I was going to state the same thing ..but you know " my advice" .. always causes havoc , when your not part of " the gang" ..LOL

I try not to give any intelligent "answears" they just tend to confuse people.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.