Max went on a walk!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
That's so cute! my daughters boyfriend had a couple of those. they weren't very tame though. he didn't hold them enough. I used to have an iguana that was 4 foot long. I sure miss that little bugger. I took him to the vet one time to have his mouth looked at and the vet was shocked at how friendly he was. he had a lot of iguanas come in those doors but never oNe that sweet. It's all about how you handle them....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The trick with iguanas is holding them everyday and always feeding them the first bite of their meals by hand....easy peasy
Did you foster iguanas?
I won' deny tat they are really cool, they grow so very large, though...

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
No they were my pets. I've had three In all. one we named Murdock. he was crazy. He had been neglected. He hadn't been held hardly at all. we found him a home with someone who could hold him much more than us. because of how wild he was he needed extra attention he needed extra attention. the man was disabled so he was housebound and had plenty of time to hold a neglected iguana. He had him tame in no time... he adored that iguana

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Did you foster iguanas?
I won' deny tat they are really cool, they grow so very large, though...
if you get one, get it young. put his tank up At eye level with you. feed Him daily and the first bite out of your hand. most important though is holding him daily, if not two or three times a day.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No they were my pets. I've had three In all. one we named Murdock. he was crazy. He had been neglected. He hadn't been held hardly at all. we found him a home with someone who could hold him much more than us. because of how wild he was he needed extra attention he needed extra attention. the man was disabled so he was housebound and had plenty of time to hold a neglected iguana. He had him tame in no time... he adored that iguana
That's good. It's good to know mr iguana could know something new.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
They're only mean if you make them mean by mistreating them or neglecting them. his name was..... shocker..... Iggy! lol!

Socialization IS incredibly important and your tips are great. I just want to remind folks that iguanas can get hormonal and very territorial and can be real jerks despite usually having a puppy dog demeanor. I spent every day smothering him in affection and socialization. He even came to work with me frequently and was wonderful about letting strangers and even noisy jumpy children pet him. He never hissed or whipped in 6 years that I had him. Then I got a roommate that he took issue with coming into his territory and it changed.

It's been almost six years since my beloved best buddy had a bad day and tried to eat my face and I am still the top google result for "Iguana Face Bite" - regardless I realize he wasn't a domesticated animal and I don't blame him. I just like to remind people that anything with teeth can bite.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Socialization IS incredibly important and your tips are great. I just want to remind folks that iguanas can get hormonal and very territorial and can be real jerks despite usually having a puppy dog demeanor. I spent every day smothering him in affection and socialization. He even came to work with me frequently and was wonderful about letting strangers and even noisy jumpy children pet him. He never hissed or whipped in 6 years that I had him. Then I got a roommate that he took issue with coming into his territory and it changed.

It's been almost six years since my beloved best buddy had a bad day and tried to eat my face and I am still the top google result for "Iguana Face Bite" - regardless I realize he wasn't a domesticated animal and I don't blame him. I just like to remind people that anything with teeth can bite.
Wow. did you keep him After that? I never encountered anything like that. but you're right I guess anything can happen. animals are weird about people. your roommate may have creeped him out