Harnesses?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
It has come to my attention that Maxamillion really likes walking around (of course!) and looking out windows.
I think he'd love, love, LOVE to go outside and sit for a bit in the sun, but I'm not clueless and know how that could up going... Max missing, and me feeling very upset and silly.
I've been to all the pet stores around here, and am having the hardest time locating a lizard harness big enough,or small enough, for him!
I've found 'small animal' comfort harness (which do not look comfortable, by the way) but they are still too big. I know I could make them, but I'm not taking that chance with something 'homemade' he could end up slipping and escaping from.
I'd be concerned buying from online, because I can't accurately size a picture.
Do you guys know where I could buy a nice fitting harness for mr. dragon?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know PetSmart has lizard harnesses

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I know PetSmart has lizard harnesses
I didn't see any at Petsmart, but Petco here does.
They had something like this-
index.jpg
-which looked highly uncomfortable! :( I'm also afraid of stuffing his little legs through the holes.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
no the ones I've seen they are more the stringy type

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
next time I go to Petsmart I can look at them take a picture of it for you and if you want I can pick it up and email it to you

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
In my past experience hip leashes are usually a better choice for lizards since we aren't really 'walking' them so much as trying to keep them safe. There is less risk of them injuring themselves if they panic vs. having a string around their neck. I also found that my beardie refused to explore with a chest harness and was okay with one around his hips. i made mine from a coat drawstring with a springy stopper on it for free and I've used it on beardies, iguanas and a blue tongue skink which was ineffective since they are stubby and slippery.

like this:
iguanahip-leash4_zpsee20bd65.jpg

Capture.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't see any at Petsmart, but Petco here does.
They had something like this-
View attachment 148045
-which looked highly uncomfortable! :( I'm also afraid of stuffing his little legs through the holes.

I used this before on my beardie. I cut it down some, so it would fit better. My dear die just sat there in the grass and didn't move. What mine liked doing better was sitting on the window sill on a big log I would set there for him. He would stay there for hours, no harness or tether of any kind.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I used this before on my beardie. I cut it down some, so it would fit better. My dear die just sat there in the grass and didn't move. What mine liked doing better was sitting on the window sill on a big log I would set there for him. He would stay there for hours, no harness or tether of any kind.
I remember yours was very behaved :D I think Max would up and leave, though.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
In my past experience hip leashes are usually a better choice for lizards since we aren't really 'walking' them so much as trying to keep them safe. There is less risk of them injuring themselves if they panic vs. having a string around their neck. I also found that my beardie refused to explore with a chest harness and was okay with one around his hips. i made mine from a coat drawstring with a springy stopper on it for free and I've used it on beardies, iguanas and a blue tongue skink which was ineffective since they are stubby and slippery.

like this:
iguanahip-leash4_zpsee20bd65.jpg

Capture.jpg
He's a little sprinter! That's really unusual, I've never seen it before.