Maximizing a grazing grass mix

franz_see

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi All,

I just bought 2lbs of grazing grass mix from Carolina Pet Supply. I live in a country though were getting them is pretty difficult so i would like to maximize this because I cant treat it just like any consumable.

We have two sulcata hatchlings, each not more than 150g. We have about 300 square feet of yard and an indoor enclosure of about 10 square feet. I intend to let them graze both in the yard and in their enclosure.

I hear that 2lbs is good for 1000 square feet. So i think allocating 0.6lbs would be good enough for the yard.

How about for the indoor enclosure though? I read that it takes 6 weeks to fully grow them and I hear they can be grown on trays. Do i then grow them in 6 trays and alternate those trays within their enclosure? My idea is that before they totally wipe out a tray, i will replace it with another one (at their size, im guessing this would happen once a week). Then before i re-use a tray, 6 weeks would have passed allowing the grass to fully grow again.

Or am I approaching this wrong? Kindly advice.

Thanks,
Franz

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are over thinking this. There are so many variables that are unknown and out of your control with something like this. Just start growing some grass and see how it goes. Then adjust your strategy as needed.

I over think some things too much too. That's how I recognized it so quickly when I read your post. :)

franz_see

Philippines
You are over thinking this. There are so many variables that are unknown and out of your control with something like this. Just start growing some grass and see how it goes. Then adjust your strategy as needed.

I over think some things too much too. That's how I recognized it so quickly when I read your post. :)

Lol. You got me there @Tom. Thanks! :) hehehe

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Right now with it raining and all I have soooo much growing I can't feed them enough. A problem I deal with during the hot summers.

I let half of my stuff grow until I get seeds from them and then harvest that for future growth.

franz_see

Philippines
Right now with it raining and all I have soooo much growing I can't feed them enough. A problem I deal with during the hot summers.

I let half of my stuff grow until I get seeds from them and then harvest that for future growth.

Cool. Is that also from Carolina Pet Supply? How long before you get seeds from them? :)

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Cool. Is that also from Carolina Pet Supply? How long before you get seeds from them? :)

It depends on the time of the year. Right now in So Cal everything I'm growing is really taking off. But during the 100+ summers I have trouble growing anything that's not cactus.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl

Are you asking how long they take to ship the seeds to you? Because if that is what you asked then you should look over the vendor review section, but in average from what people post I say it will take them about a month and a half to ship. Several people had to ask for refunds from the bank due to them not shipping orders.

franz_see

Philippines
It depends on the time of the year. Right now in So Cal everything I'm growing is really taking off. But during the 100+ summers I have trouble growing anything that's not cactus.

Interesting. It might be hard for me then because 100 is the norm where I am. But at least I can plant a lot of cactus :) thanks for the info @G-stars ! :)

franz_see

Philippines
Are you asking how long they take to ship the seeds to you? Because if that is what you asked then you should look over the vendor review section, but in average from what people post I say it will take them about a month and a half to ship. Several people had to ask for refunds from the bank due to them not shipping orders.

Thanks. But rather how long @G-stars can get seeds from his existing ones :) I've read through some info section about it because I want to maximize my batch. After I'm through with this 2lbs, I don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on my next batch :)

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks. But rather how long @G-stars can get seeds from his existing ones :) I've read through some info section about it because I want to maximize my batch. After I'm through with this 2lbs, I don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on my next batch :)

Like I said before it depends what it is and what my weather conditions are at the time. Some of the grasses give off seeds as early as a couple weeks in ideal conditions.