Maximum temps for 3 month old leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Hello, wondering if I can get some advice for a new leopard I'm getting tomorrow. I've set up a new 50 gallon rubbermaid container with a 100 watt powersun mvb. Humidity is terrific as I'm using Tom's method of keeping in humidity for babies. My temperature directly under the mvb is 105 degrees. Is that too high? My temps are great everywhere else. I've successfully kept redfoots and box turtles and I've always loved the beautiful shells of leopards. With the other species they've never really required mvb but high humidity. This time with a tortoise that requires a basking area I feel that 105 degrees is a lot. Will he just move out from underneath if he gets to hot and regulate his own temperature? Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using TortForum mobile app

I should say it ranges from 105 to as high as 110 degrees.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would try to raise the bulb just a little bit. 105-110 directly under the bulb really isn't too hot. Your tortoise will find the right temp by moving to the edges of the basking light, but I worry that it will dry things out too much. I set mine for 95-100, but on some summer days, when the ambient temp climbs, the basking spots will get up to 105. Shouldn't hurt anything, but ideally, you should raise the fixture a couple of inches.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Get a temp gun!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That is my basking temp for my leopards.
Having high humidity, I don't feel that temp is too much. Dry would be a different story.

Congrats on the new shelled buddy!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone. Just want to make sure I have it all right. I'll raise the mvb light a touch more to reduce the temp but it's reassuring to know 105 to 110 degrees is still acceptable. Looking forward to seeing how well this closed chamber works. I'll show some pics as soon as I can tomorrow.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's about right, but getting a little on the high side. What are you using to measure your temperatures? I keep the basking spot for mine at about 100 - 105.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Neal said:
That's about right, but getting a little on the high side. What are you using to measure your temperatures? I keep the basking spot for mine at about 100 - 105.

Hi Neal, I'm using a temp gun and the little guy seems to enjoy hanging out not directly underneath the MVB, but just off to the side. He seems to settle in that spot regardless of the time of day. He hasn't been too interested in his humid hide, I may get rid of it if I can't convince him to use it. I guess he picks the temperature zone he likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.