Maybe Sulcata Tortoise Shell Rot

Myla Greek tortoise

1587930280456.jpeg
I have a one year old sulcata tortoise that has been very healthy and active throughout the whole year. I noticed these white splotches on the carapace of his shell about three weeks ago. I am pretty sure it is shell rot so, I have already started to treat the splotches every day. I start with scrubbing his shell with a toothbrush that is clean. The soap I use to scrub the splotches with is dawn soap. Then I rinse the soap off and scrub the splotches with providine lodine 10%. I then leave it on until the next day when I do the treatment again.

Throughout the three weeks I have been doing this the splotches have stayed and have gotten a bit bigger. I have tried putting the providing on a cloth and soaking the cloth on his shell for an hour and then re applying it with just providine on his shell. I have also tried carefully putting hydrogen peroxide on the splotches of his shell. I put him in a small tub with lots of heat and a fan at the top to try to dry out his shell. I did this for an hour and he started stressing out so I took him out. I did however notice the splotches were a bit smaller after I did this.

In his enclosure I have added two more heat lamps to make sure it is warm enough to dry out his shell rot. Now I have a total of three heat lamps with one natural light bulb. His substrate is dry cypris mulch with some coco choir.

I am asking for some advice on what I should try to do to treat his shell in a successful way so that he can have a healthy shell without stressing him out. Thank you for your time.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
View attachment 292440
I have a one year old sulcata tortoise that has been very healthy and active throughout the whole year. I noticed these white splotches on the carapace of his shell about three weeks ago. I am pretty sure it is shell rot so, I have already started to treat the splotches every day. I start with scrubbing his shell with a toothbrush that is clean. The soap I use to scrub the splotches with is dawn soap. Then I rinse the soap off and scrub the splotches with providine lodine 10%. I then leave it on until the next day when I do the treatment again.

Throughout the three weeks I have been doing this the splotches have stayed and have gotten a bit bigger. I have tried putting the providing on a cloth and soaking the cloth on his shell for an hour and then re applying it with just providine on his shell. I have also tried carefully putting hydrogen peroxide on the splotches of his shell. I put him in a small tub with lots of heat and a fan at the top to try to dry out his shell. I did this for an hour and he started stressing out so I took him out. I did however notice the splotches were a bit smaller after I did this.

In his enclosure I have added two more heat lamps to make sure it is warm enough to dry out his shell rot. Now I have a total of three heat lamps with one natural light bulb. His substrate is dry cypris mulch with some coco choir.

I am asking for some advice on what I should try to do to treat his shell in a successful way so that he can have a healthy shell without stressing him out. Thank you for your time.

In my experience, Iodine kills the bad stuff...but it also kills the white blood cells needed for regrowth...frankly...I don't see any white spots...BUT...if you are 100% positive...make a one time cleaning of a betadine solution...then put athletes foot cream on the spots...go back to his normal lighting...if you use lights to "dry out his shell rot" you may be trading shell rot for pyramiding...if you think the spots need cleaning use Chlorhexedine...that's the blue stuff you see a Drs stuff soaking in...also called ...Nolvasan...

Nolvasan S cleans, disinfects and deodorizes animal holding areas and equipment use with animals. Effective against a wide range of bacteria and viruses.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When shell rot happens, it happens on the plastron. This is not shell rot. Sulcatas almost never get shell rot.

Where are you, and has the tortoise been spending more time outside? I suspect the new growth is drying out more than it should.

If indoors, have you checked the temperature under the basking lamp at tortoise height? This could be a factor since he's bigger now.

Myla Greek tortoise

"Tom, post: 1817855, member: 3441"]
When shell rot happens, it happens on the plastron. This is not shell rot. Sulcatas almost never get shell rot.

Where are you, and has the tortoise been spending more time outside? I suspect the new growth is drying out more than it should.

If indoors, have you checked the temperature under the basking lamp at tortoise height? This could be a factor since he's bigger now.

I live in Missouri and it is somewhat humid here. His enclosure is inside because it sometimes gets cold here. When it is warm outside I take him out for about 2-3 hours a day. under the basking light is about 80. Throughout the cage is 75-80 degrees fahrenheit.

Last edited:

Myla Greek tortoise

In my experience, Iodine kills the bad stuff...but it also kills the white blood cells needed for regrowth...frankly...I don't see any white spots...BUT...if you are 100% positive...make a one time cleaning of a betadine solution...then put athletes foot cream on the spots...go back to his normal lighting...if you use lights to "dry out his shell rot" you may be trading shell rot for pyramiding...if you think the spots need cleaning use Chlorhexedine...that's the blue stuff you see a Drs stuff soaking in...also called ...Nolvasan...

Nolvasan S cleans, disinfects and deodorizes animal holding areas and equipment use with animals. Effective against a wide range of bacteria and viruses.

Ok thank you, but I don't understand what those odd spots are on his shell, I would think they are something like shell rot considering they are in odd placement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can see the discoloration. I don't know what is causing it. Over all, your temperatures are too cool. It should stay above 80 all the time, and the basking area needs to be around 95 at tortoise shell height during the day.

Myakoda

AZ.
View attachment 292440

Wow, that's a big Sulcata! A year? My Myakoda is 7 months, and a lot smaller. I can't imagine her being this big at 1 year. Perhaps it's the angle. She's been growing steadily, and is almost a pound. I hope her growth is normal, we did after all find her in the road as a small hatchling.

Myla Greek tortoise

Wow, that's a big Sulcata! A year? My Myakoda is 7 months, and a lot smaller. I can't imagine her being this big at 1 year. Perhaps it's the angle. She's been growing steadily, and is almost a pound. I hope her growth is normal, we did after all find her in the road as a small hatchling.

oh really! I have heard of sulcatas growing at different rates. My 7 month old is about the size of yours in your profile picture.

Myla Greek tortoise

I can see the discoloration. I don't know what is causing it. Over all, your temperatures are too cool. It should stay above 80 all the time, and the basking area needs to be around 95 at tortoise shell height during the day.

ok thank you for your advise I will definitely get some sort of heater in their area to keep them warmer.

Myla Greek tortoise

I am still concerned about the areas, and I don't know what to do. I don't think it is shell growth. Shell growth would be less scattered and definitely not look like these spots. Should I treat the spots somehow with some athletes foot or just leave them alone and keep an eye on the spots.

Myakoda

AZ.
oh really! I have heard of sulcatas growing at different rates. My 7 month old is about the size of yours in your profile picture.
Well good, I was thinking oh no should she be bigger. She's a muncher lol. I've always loved Tortoises, s I do all animals. However, never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd find a tiny, tiny, Baby in the road! We are in love with her, Tom has been such a huge help. He's awesome! So many here as well! I'm so glad I foung the Tortoise forum. I feel like this is a safe place, with he correct info! This was a few months or less ago. She's a bit bigger. I hope your Baby is ok. :)

Last edited:

Myakoda

AZ.
My Dexter was one pound end of December, he was 7 mo old . He is now 3 pounds 4 Oz and is now 13 mo old. They have growth spurts
Wow, ya she has grown bigger the last few months. She's still so tiny, so sweet. Hard to believe they can grow so large.