Redfoot shell rot

erinbug

Location (City and/or State)
Tomball
I discovered shell rot on my guy yesterday; there was a lot of the white substance I’ve read about and I immediately went out to get an antiseptic cleaner, providine iodine, and antifungal ointment. Today the white stuff seems to be gone but this black spot remains - is this serious? It’s not soft or oozing, just looks almost bruiselike. (The redness around it is from the iodine.)

068ACF5C-B2BA-4F54-AD94-AE9C7A565093.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some sub species of RF tortoise have a diamond-shaped dark spot on their plastron. I'm not seeing anything wrong with your tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some sub species of RF tortoise have a diamond-shaped dark spot on their plastron. I'm not seeing anything wrong with your tortoise.
Neither do I.
However, as we say here....Using the athletes foot cream does no harm if it is used when not needed. And it quickly knocks out fungus when it is needed.
Every time I see shell ROT posted, I get panicked.
Light shell fungus is just fungus.
Shell rot is a very advanced and serious issue.
Your high red girl looks to be in beautiful shape from what I can see.

erinbug

Tomball
Neither do I.
However, as we say here....Using the athletes foot cream does no harm if it is used when not needed. And it quickly knocks out fungus when it is needed.
Every time I see shell ROT posted, I get panicked.
Light shell fungus is just fungus.
Shell rot is a very advanced and serious issue.
Your high red girl looks to be in beautiful shape from what I can see.
Phew, thanks! I’m going to use the foot cream for another week since there was white. Also, how can you tell it’s female?