Mazuri food and using Ethoxyquin- WHY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
I was looking to see about the possibility of using a little Mazuri food on some hatchlings I might be getting. That stuff has terrible ingredients. Is there anything for tortoises that has healthy ingredients. For one thing Ethoxyquin was taken out of most dog and cat foods because it is so toxic. Why is it in tortoise food.? Why do they use so much soy in that food. Soy is not a good idea to put in their food. They should get the protein from quality sources not soy. Is there any forum that discusses this ? I'm really concerned .

dar64

5 Year Member
I won't get into the issues on the forum with soy but research it. You'll find it very interesting especially what it does to hormones. I'm not talking about soybeans and tofu. Different parts of the world use it differently than we do. Many animals and people can handle it no problem. Many cannot.

Cowboy_Ken said:
dar64 said:
They should get the protein from quality sources not soy

I'm sorry but I think many Asian countries would not share your view of soy...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is my signature quote on this subject. Its been typed many times because I once felt the same way you do.

"The ingredients list impresses no one, but the results obtained by feeding it to your tortoises impress everyone."

This product has been in use for decades. It is tried and true. Its good stuff. It is also not necessary. Tortoises can grow up just fine without it, so skip it if you aren't comfortable with it. You might find the ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow ingredient list more to your liking.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I'm not sure if it's just because not very many studies have been conducted on the matter, but I could find absolutely nothing on the web about the effects that ethoxyquin has on reptiles.

Furthermore, I am not sure where you are getting this, as a look at the list of ingredients in Mazuri tells me no ethoxyquin is in the mix. The only other way it would be in there is if a fish product was previously treated with it... since Mazuri contains no fish products, I think it is safe to say that it does not contain ethoxyquin.

As for the soy... as you said, some animals can handle it no problem... tortoises seem to be one of them.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
dar64 said:
For one thing Ethoxyquin was taken out of most dog and cat foods because it is so toxic.

Do you have any solid, peer-reviewed sources for this?

While the relationship between soy and estrogen levels is well documented in humans, is there anything at all that suggests that it has any effect for our chelonian friends?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ethoxyquin is a quinoline-based antioxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide. It is commonly used as a preservative in pet foods to prevent the rancidification of fats.

Status
Not open for further replies.