Mazuri -- new details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I do my best to keep up to date on what is good nutrition for my animals. In the past I have not been a big fan of Mazuri, though I have not had a good solid reason why, I preferred other products. That may change, we will see.

On another thread we debated the appropriateness or utility with wetting Mazuri, and perhaps by extension other pelleted foods.

Being who I am, and usually unwilling to take, "what someone thinks they know as gospel" I sought direct evidence that wetted Mazuri was not acceptable, or that it was for one species commonly held in Zoos.

New details are in, from the scientist who actually develops and has formulated the diets for tortoises available from Mazuiri.

Troy Tollefson, Ph.D.
Nutritionist, Mazuri Exotic Animal Nutrition said:

"I have just developed a new tortoise diet that is becoming available later next month. This diet is a vast improvement compared to our old diet. I made timothy hay the first ingredient, reduced starch content, added flaxseed for omega 3 fatty acids, added probiotics for GI health among other changes (see the attached spec sheet). This diet was developed about a year ago and then we have been doing some work at a university to conduct palatability and digestion trials. We have also tested it out at a variety of zoos throughout the country this past year."

That 'spec' sheet is attached.

It is OK to wet it, and it was not developed for galops in zoos alone. The new instructions on the sheet expresses use for what you have now in that bag at home. The one major change to the instruction, It's OK to wet it. Function dictates form.

Will

Attachments

• 5E5L.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 110

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, Will. I appreciate that you don't take it for granted.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I was hesitant to use mazuri, since soybean was the first ingredient. I am much happier with timothy hay. My torts love Mazuri. I hope, when the new formula comes out, that they will still love it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will they still offer the "old" style since so many tortoise people have grown to like it and use it?

Most of my tortoises are very reluctant to eat any sort of grass based dry pellets rehydrated or not. This new stuff sounds an awful lot like the ZooMed grassland pellets.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Tom said:
Will they still offer the "old" style since so many tortoise people have grown to like it and use it?

Most of my tortoises are very reluctant to eat any sort of grass based dry pellets rehydrated or not. This new stuff sounds an awful lot like the ZooMed grassland pellets.

Buy both, mix the two at first and slowly reduce the old Mazuri.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Awesome - thanks Will. Great information.

Ben

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Is this new diet OK for any tort species?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I appreciate that you did the hard work of confirming that the product is indeed safe and healthy for our animals. Thanks. I look forward to the new product::p

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
sibi said:
I appreciate that you did the hard work of confirming that the product is indeed safe and healthy for our animals. Thanks. I look forward to the new product::p

I am not endorsing or recommending a product I have not seen or used. I just couldn't find a rational reason for "Not moistening" it. The directions on the current packaging say that it is "not necessary" to moisten, but they do not explicitly say "don't" either.

I get it, about not wasting nutrients with water thrown away that may be use to wet the pellets, I think of that as 'common sense' which we all know is not common at all.

I have no doubt that the product is "safe" or "healthy", however I do not have much experience with using it. I tried it a few times from a small sample provided by a friend. I did not like implementing its use in my feeding regime.

The new formula as stated by the person who formulated it, seem like another try will be warranted. I share the excitement of the new product as expressed Dr. Tollefson.

I think the idea of phasing it in with the old is as good an idea as one could have, thanks ShellyTurtleTort.

I do not think any one diet item no matter how "perfect" should be 100% of the food offered. Some nutrients suppress the absorption of others. I think it follows then, that it could be fed to any tortoise, and would no doubt be a good food item for any tortoise, but never the entire food source. That too is included in the instruction on the bag, the new formula and the old.

Will

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I tried the new formula a few months a ago and my guys loved it. It also smells like hay and you can see hay in every pellet
I had a problem with a bag I bought from my feed store and Troy offered to send me a bag of the new formula and explained that he wanted hay to be the 1st ingredient. I feed it the same way as I always do and my two went at it like it was the old formula. I am looking forward to getting another bag of the hay formula. In the long run it will be an improvement and my tortioses will be healthier for the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.