Mazuri

Jriedy85

Any one else have trouble getting their tort to eat Mazuri. Mine doesn't seem to like it and just pushes it out of the way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Any one else have trouble getting their tort to eat Mazuri. Mine doesn't seem to like it and just pushes it out of the way.

Some tortoises don't care for it. You can introduce it slowly by soaking one pellet and mashing it all up with the greens.

This won't work if you are using the LS type.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The LS type has less protein. It turns into a big bale of hay when it gets wet. It expands by a factor of ten. The regular Mazuri just gets soft and kinda creamy.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I haven't used the LS type myself, however my torts are addicted to this stuff & trying to wean them off hasn't been easy :confused:

Jriedy85

Oh I don't think I have the LS type then. It looks like little round pellets of dog food and when wet you can just smash it up.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Every tortoise I own, two leopards included, are crazy for the stuff! No issue at all getting them to eat it. They prefer it to anything else so it's hard to get them to eat other foods.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
50% of my leopards like mazuri alot and 50% don't touch it. 100% don't like the mazuri LS

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I find it interesting all the misinformation about the new LS Mazuri. Here are a few pics to help dispel some.mazuri1.jpg The first pic is of each type being soaked.mazuri2.jpg The second pic is of a dry piece and a soaked piece of each type,mazuri3.jpg The third pic is the broken up piece of the soaked LS type.mazuri4.jpg The fourth pic is the soaked piece of the LS type mixed onto some organic baby romaine leaves.mazuri5.jpg The last pic is Whetstone getting ready to eat it. I like and use both types, each has a place in some of my tortoises diets.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I use both right now. I had ordered the LS type and all my guys ate it for a day or two then my baby's quit eating it so I had to order some regular for them so I feed the regular kind to my 4 sulcata baby's, I attempt to feed it to my leopard baby but she won't touch it. I soak a cup of the LS type (it does mush up as good as the regular does) and a cup of the regular, mix it together and feed that to my big guys. I personally can't stand the way the LS type smells and it's more expensive then the regular so once we use up all the LS kind I won't order it anymore, I personally will stick with the regular type.