Sprinkled Mazuri vs. Mazuri Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deenthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

Recently I heard debate from a breeder that powdered mazuri was more effective than the actual pellets. Apparently, powdering them on the foods given to the tortoise is more effective this way. Does anyone have any experience with powdering their mazuri?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Powdering makes me wonder how much actually gets into the tortoise. Mazuri isn't a vitamin or similar, so I don't really see how powdering it is effective. Even when I leave moist pellets for them to eat, they manage to leave crumbs everywhere so they don't even get the entire pellet when whole. I would think crushing it up into miniscule pieces would really reduce the amount of food they intake. I feed mazuri as a supplement to their grazing and greens I feed, so I want them to get as much of it as possible when they eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If 10 grams gets into the tortoises, I don't think it matters in what form. He may be referring to the way some people soak their Mazuri. If you soak it and then chuck that "soaking water", you've just chucked a whole bunch of the vitamins and minerals that leach out into the water. I spray my Mazuri a couple of times and every last drop goes on to the food pile. It gets mushy this way in about 2 minutes.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yeah, that statement makes no sense. I too have it (and Grassland, even to a worse effect) get all over and not into the tort. Not an issue for me with one tort and too much of the pellets, although I do freeze it.

Status
Not open for further replies.