Mazuri

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I am thinking about buying a 25 pound bag of mazuri tortoise food. I just do not want it to go rancid on me before I use it all. Can I freeze it? Or what would everyone recommend?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am thinking about buying a 25 pound bag of mazuri tortoise food. I just do not want it to go rancid on me before I use it all. Can I freeze it? Or what would everyone recommend?
I don't know where in Virginia you are located but if you are close to Colonial Beach I can give you some instead of buying a 25 pound bag. I have plenty and willing to share.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I routinely purchase 25# bags & store about 1/2 the quantity in rubbermaid type containers. I fill them up, seal the lid. Last ‘til i need. im sure you could just seal in large gallon ziploc bags - out of the sun & out of heat/humidity. Mine have never smelled funky.

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
nice! another Virginian.
But yeah my 25lbs so far so good but is only been 1 month
Alright sounds good to me. I will just buy a 25 pound bag since they aren't super pricey

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
I routinely purchase 25# bags & store about 1/2 the quantity in rubbermaid type containers. I fill them up, seal the lid. Last ‘til i need. im sure you could just seal in large gallon ziploc bags - out of the sun & out of heat/humidity. Mine have never smelled funky.
Sounds good to me. I have a couple 5 gallon food safe buckets with twist safe lids I think I will just store it in there

Nrc470

5 Year Member
Virginia
I don't know where in Virginia you are located but if you are close to Colonial Beach I can give you some instead of buying a 25 pound bag. I have plenty and willing to share.
I wish we were closer because I would take you up on that offer

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I believe there is an expiration date on the tag or somewhere on the bag. I believe it's good for about a year. I keep mine in a large plastic container that seals with a rubber seal. First bag I bought I left in the bag and notice, after some time I seen little bugs in the bag. Have not seen any bugs since I started using the plastic container.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I store mine in a sealed container in a cool and dry place.

J
Yep. A nice high quality sealed container.
(If it's a cheap one, I've had Mazuri go stale and I've seen moths fly out of it.)
And yes. You can freeze it in big ZIP LOCK freezer bags also.
I've kept it successfully for over a year both ways.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I believe there is an expiration date on the tag or somewhere on the bag. I believe it's good for about a year. I keep mine in a large plastic container that seals with a rubber seal. First bag I bought I left in the bag and notice, after some time I seen little bugs in the bag. Have not seen any bugs since I started using the plastic container.
I save the empty mazuri bags because they are good for putting banana trees in for people that I give them to that are not able to get in the ground right away. So I checked to see about the expiration date on them. What I found was some are not marked, some have experation dates, and some have both manufactured date and expectation date. The last 3 I got had no information on them. I've never had bugs or any fungus in a bag of mazuri and I leave it in the original bag.